ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT,INTERNATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Duties: The International Development office, within Development and Alumni Relations at the University of Pennsylvania is responsible for raising major and principal gifts from alumni, parents and friends residing overseas, while also managing two international foundations and two global volunteer committees. The office currently consists of an Assistant Director, a Managing Director, Senior Managing Director and a Senior Advisor.
The Administrative Assistant serves as the primary administrative support for the office. Reporting to the Associate Director and Senior Managing Director, with daily supervision provided by the former, the Administrative Assistant is intimately involved with all aspects of the day-to-day operation of the program.
The Administrative Assistant is responsible for managing records and reports, and for ensuring that office policies and procedures are carried out in a professional and efficient manner. Under limited supervision, the Administrative Assistant must be able to exercise judgment, initiative and analysis in carrying out administrative and clerical duties. The Assistant will handle complex and highly confidential materials and must be able to meet deadlines in a goal-oriented environment.
* Support the international team with all aspects of international travel. Support also includes assistance with obtaining visas for staff travel to countries that require them in advance of travel.
* Serve as a BEN Financial (financial system) end-user to monitor and reconcile expenditures and generate reports. Generate purchase orders.
* Prepare and track gift agreements for gifts of $25,000 or more, ensuring that language is in accordance with approved University policies and guidelines; work with Office of Gift Planning, gift officers, others as necessary to resolve issues with complicated or non-standard features.
* As an Atlas (donor database) end user, help maintain integrity of unusual international data; input group actions, strategies, and contacts when needed; ensure international staff meet Atlas entry requirements for internal management reports; Assist team with keeping actions current in Atlas; Responsible to maintaining the International donor pipeline.
* Maintain contributions to the DAR calendar; with Associate Director keep International calendar current.
* Review weekly, monthly international gift reports with team; recommend action when it seems appropriate and support implantation of action; order custom reports; update Atlas; create and manage prospect pipelines.
* Schedule meetings, conference calls; maintain calendars; prepare agendas, minutes, etc. Maintain and inventory office supplies.
* With Assistant Director, receive, screen, handle inquiries, especially those that come from outside the US and result from the international giving website or other international tax-efficient giving outreach.
* Support the Associate Director with keeping the website current and fresh, including identifying and creating new content; participate in discussions about use and ease of use of the website; support any communication strategy developed by the Assistant Director.
* Stay informed of tax-efficient giving resources to be knowledgeable about potential tax-effective giving opportunities and changes from various countries that could impact Penn and its donors.
* Support the work of the Associate Director in effective and timely communication to specific regions that promotes tax-efficient giving opportunities. As well as to DAR.
* Assist with support of the two international foundations, including gift reconciliation and review of receipts.
* Provide administrative support of the management of the volunteer committees in the UK and Hong Kong; play a key role with the preparation of meetings of the committees and other projects as needed.
* Maintain office files both electronic and physical.
* Assist Associate Director with informal research from gift reports, media, internet, etc. in key strategic regions to support the work of the Managing and Senior Managing Directors, including the development of regional profiles for the top 4-6 regions.
* Responsible for adhering to events protocols and assist with all details of event management.
* Adhere to work schedule for position; assist colleagues during their peak work periods; perform other duties as assigned by the managing director and director and their superiors.
* Receive, distribute, process information in accordance with established schedules and procedures.
* Anticipate that unusual situations may arise and be able to handle with ease and/or redirect as appropriate.
* Observe and maintain confidentiality of all privileged information.
Qualifications: Bachelor's degree strongly preferred; Completion of high school diploma required; 3-5 years of relevant experience, preferably including knowledge of higher education and not-for profit sectors; international experience that may include living, working, and/or studying abroad desirable. Sensitivity to the cultural values of Penn's diverse international community and ability to work effectively across languages, time zones, customs, national holidays, currencies, is important. Must be able to exercise judgment, tact, and diplomacy in the performance of duties, and will know when to seek help in unfamiliar situations. Ability to function with a high degree of independence in carrying out the responsibilities of the job. High level of competency with computer software programs including database management skills, Microsoft office suite and internet research. Capacity to learn and apply new technologies and efficiencies as needed. Excellent verbal and written communication skills; demonstrated experience working with diverse international constituent groups. Occasional evening and/or weekend work required.
Reference Number: 90-26980
Salary Grade: 024
Employment Type: Non-Exempt
Org: Development International Programs
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: X-Secretarial/Administrative