Applications Developer I
General Description of Position:
Information about the College/Unit:
OEIE is a fast-paced and growing office in the College of Education at Kansas State University. OEIE provides technical assistance and capacity building services in evaluation and program development to various state and federal agencies, universities, foundations, and businesses. OEIE has conducted research and evaluation services for over 400 projects totaling $350 million sponsored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, National Science Foundation, U.S. Department of Education, U.S. Department of Defense Education Activity, Kansas Board of Regents, Kansas State Department of Education, and Kansas Department of Health and Environment, Kansas Health Foundation, and the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, to name a few. Additional details about funded projects and services can be found on the OEIE website at http://www.k-state.edu/oeie/.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community.
The Successful Candidate will:
This position will work with a growing team of web developers and technical support staff under the direction of the team-lead to maintain and improve PEARS. Responsibilities include:
- Build, test, and deploy new features in PEARS.
- Write code using best practices and current software design patterns and following coding guidelines established by the team.
- Write automated tests to cover new and existing code.
- Fix bugs and work with the development team to plan, build, and test new features.
- Work within and help improve development team processes such as issue tracking and sprint planning.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Requires a bachelor's degree and two years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or closely related field or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with version control systems such as Git.
- Experience working with databases and writing SQL queries.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to software development methodologies through a combination of personal research, hands-on experience, and formal/informal training.
- Good communicator with strong written communication skills and the ability to communicate well with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, team-driven environment.
- Experience building applications using Python and the Django framework
- Experience building applications with jQuery and Vue.js frameworks
- Strong understanding of relational databases with ability to write complex and efficient SQL
- Experience with “agile” software development methodologies
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary Range/ Pay Rate:
$41,258 - $63,950
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.