Chief Administrative Officer
UC San Diego
Chief Administrative Officer
Filing Deadline: Tue 10/24/2017
Salary Range: Commensurate with Experience
UC San Diego Extension is fully self-supporting, operating year-round (12 months of active instruction) with a budget of $45 million annually in primarily fee income. The unit has over 200 career employees, including academic, management, staff and executive, as well as represented and non-represented positions. Many casual or contract employees and student workers also serve in the organization. In addition, Extension employs about 1,000 active by-agreement instructors.
Extension operates in 200,000 square feet of managed space, including a large off-campus classroom facility. The unit maintains a robust online learning platform, operating 24/7 (including some Spanish language elements) with web-casting and video-conferencing capability. Extension also a strong web presence with e-commerce operating 24/7. There are over 60,000 enrollment transactions annually; 35,000 outreach certification transactions and 25,000 service transactions. Extension supports a robust network of representatives, agents, and students (both residential and online) around the globe. Along with all of this, Extension operates two television stations, a variety of public lecture programs and is active in federal, state, local, and private research and technical assistance programs and activities.
Under the general direction of the Dean, the Chief Administrative Officer - UCSD Extension is responsible for management and direction of Extension’s business support efforts including Business Development and Marketing Services, Finance, Human Resources, Facilities, Real Estate, and Design, Technology Services, and Student and Customer Services. In collaboration with the Dean of Extension, reviews and approves all new venture development including new types of programs, collaborations with campus and non-campus entities, and contracts and grants.
Serves as principal advisor to the Dean of Extension in the development and implementation of short- and long-term strategic plans for the Division to ensure fiscal responsibility and growth. Provides strategic direction to administrative departments in coordination with academic departments. Assures operational units adapt as new market imperatives and campus academic/public service priorities change. Collaborates with the Dean in administrative leadership of all areas under the Dean’s authority and also serves as the senior business manager for the division.
• Please submit a cover letter for a complete application packet.
• Some evening and weekend work is required.
• Advanced Degree in management or a business-related field and senior administration/operations management experience in an academic setting; or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• Proven experience advising executive level management in business strategy, short- and long-range strategic planning, new venture development, infrastructure, and staffing.
• Demonstrated experience overseeing various business operations functions including marketing, HR, finance, technology, facilities and customer service.
• Demonstrated extensive experience in managing the finances and budget of a large, self-funded enterprise and in assessing and managing risk.
• Effective leadership experience, including directing and developing staff members, including recruitment, selection, training and motivating staff, delegation of tasks, setting of goals/priorities, and evaluation.
• Proven experience with conceiving and implementing sustainable business models for new opportunities that address all direct and indirect costs at a competitive and appropriate fee for the marketplace.
• Job offer is contingent upon a satisfactory clearance based on background check results.
• Duties may require direct contact with children (defined as individuals under the age of 18); completion of the Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act (CANRA) training and form will be required.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://www-hr.ucsd.edu/saa/nondiscr.html