Food Service Worker IV - Academic Year Only
Food Service Worker IV - Academic Year Only
Job Number: 76664
About Residential & Dining Enterprises:
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises, the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $206 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 12,000 students, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 500,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 660 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, and Information Technology.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE, “Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”About Stanford Dining:
R&DE Stanford Dining, a division of Residential & Dining Enterprises, serves over 12,000 meals per day. Its operations include11 undergraduate dining halls, two late-night dining operations, Schwab Executive Dining, an athletic training table program, the Teaching Kitchen @ Stanford, Community BeWell Gardens, and summer conference dining. As the dining department of the world's premier research and teaching institution, R&DE Stanford Dining promotes food as a multidisciplinary educational experience and engages students in food issues such as those related to health, the environment, social equity and the global economy. R&DE Stanford Dining has been recognized for its culinary excellence by awards such as the prestigious industry Ivy Award by Restaurants and Institutions for its environmental leadership role, by numerous awards such as the Acterra Award for Sustainability, and most recently was named Most Vegan-Friendly College by peta2 for its vegan and vegetarian offerings, and certified as a Responsible Epicurean and Agricultural Leadership (REAL) restaurant by the United States Healthful Food Council for its use of nutrition and sustainability best practices. For more information, please visit www.dining.stanford.edu.
I. Summary of Position
Prepares a variety of hot foods such as soups, stews, sauces, and casseroles and desserts designated by Chef de Cuisine or Head Cook. Works from standardized recipes and receive general instructions. Responsible for the correct portioning, seasoning and timing on the menu items. Work under direction of a Chef de Cuisine or Head Cook. Responsible for preparing any menu item from prepared recipes. Direct Cooks' Helpers (Food Service Worker III) in the preparation of food and work together with other Cooks in the preparation of meals. Responsible for quality and temperature control for food. Use independent judgment in the course of meal preparation.
II. Essential Job Functions
- Prepares hot foods including entrees, vegetables, starches, sauces, and gravies
- Assumes 100% responsibility for quality of products served in conjunction with the chef.
- Work with Chef de Cuisine or Head Cook to understand and prepare new menu items.
- Store and record leftovers.
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period.
- Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications.
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, saute burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment.
- Prepare items for broiling, grilling, frying, sauteing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading, seasoning and/or marinating.
- Follows proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
- Transmit work instructions and specifications received from supervisor to other workers.
- Assist Head Cook or supervisors or other employees to solve task-related problems.
- Order supplies from storeroom as needed.
- Ensure that sanitation standards are maintained. Clean and assembles equipment after each use.
- Other duties as assigned with classification. Required to abide by all health codes mandated by the health department.
- Must adhere to department policies & procedures.
The anticipated shift is based on the operational needs and can change at any time with notice.
- 6am - 2:30 pm Sunday - Thursday
High school diploma and a minimum of 3 years experience in commercial kitchen preparation and cooking, with an understanding of proper food handling and safety, knowledge of safety and sanitation standards, and culinary fundamentals (i.e. knife skills, HACCP, methods of cooking, etc.
- Ability to work independently and as a cooperative team member.
- Must be service-oriented, courteous and professional.
- Knowledge of proper use & care of dining service equipment
- Ability to interact effectively with customers and co-workers.
- Demonstrates helpfulness, and respectfulness, is approachable and team oriented, builds strong working relationships, diplomatic, and a positive work environment, is responsible, honest, resolves conflicts appropriately, and is flexible.
- Demonstrate customer service skills with a smile.
- Must adhere to the department policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and implement written and verbal directions to meet production, safety, sanitation and health standards.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs pounds or less; must have manual dexterity. Ability to work in the kitchen around a hot climate with stoves, ovens, and grills. Must be able to speak clearly and listen attentively to lead workers and supervisors.
- Must have the ability to understand work instructions given in English, either verbally or in writing. Must be service oriented (i.e. courteous and professional) Must adhere to the department policies and procedures.
- Flexibility with schedule and work assignments
- Compliance with safety and sanitation standards and work rules
- Regular and consistent attendance
- Ability to work as a team member on a diverse workforce
- Respectful and professional behavior
IV. Physical RequirementsWalking: The ability to exert a reasonably paced mobility from one point to another within a generally accepted time frame. Must be able to recognize the conditions of the environment. Must have the ability to stand and walk for an extended period of time.
V. English Proficiency Requirements:
Must have ability to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency to follow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines and directions to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring (i.e., MSDS sheets) and communicate effectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening and speaking clearly to them. Must be able to read and understand recipes, production sheets and equipment usage information.WORK STANDARDS:
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu
Stanford University provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Stanford University complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Stanford University expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Stanford University's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job: Food Services
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.