Closing Date: November 13, 2017, 12:00 pm, PST
Beginning Date: January 11, 2018
This is a non-tenure track, categorically-funded position contingent upon the availability of funds.
- Master’s degree from an acceptable accredited institution in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work, career development, marriage and family therapy, or marriage, family and child counseling OR
- Bachelor’s degree from an acceptable accredited institution in one of the above listed degrees and a current license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) valid in California OR
- Community College Instructor Credential in Counseling OR
- The equivalent
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- College level counseling and teaching experience
- Experience in career or general counseling
- Experience with the use of Student MIS systems and computer-based educational planning software
- Knowledge of: Matriculation regulations; current Student Success and Support Program requirements and processes; current technology skills related to counseling and a willingness to pursue future technological developments
- Familiarity and/or experience working with college programs that aid socio-economically disadvantaged and/or academically underprepared students
- Familiarity and experience conducting career inventory assessments
- Ability to: Assess and assist the whole student, including cultural differences and/or disabling conditions; communicate effectively; provide accurate academic/vocational information; implement innovative and flexible counseling methods to increase matriculation rates among non-traditional students; function as a student advocate facilitating the resolution of college related problems; work independently and in small groups on educational projects
- Current technology skills related to teaching in the discipline and a willingness to pursue future technological developments.
General Description: This is a full-time, non-tenure track assignment in the Counseling Department at Merced College under the general direction of the Dean of Student Services and funded under the Student Success and Support and Strong Workforce Program. The counselor in this position will support the Career Technical Education (CTE) Programs providing academic, vocational and personal counseling; develop abbreviated and comprehensive Student Educational Plans, and be a point of contact for CTE faculty to provide “early alert” student support services to help promote student success, while keeping in compliance with Student Success and Support Program guidelines. The standard counseling/teaching load is 15 units per semester, which may include evening and weekend hours.
- Provide professional academic/vocational and personal counseling and interventions to support student success.
- Counsel students in individual appointments and during drop-in assignments.
- Conduct scheduled group counseling sessions as assigned.
- Develop and complete abbreviated and comprehensive Student Educational Plans (SEP).
- Participate in department work related to the Student Success and Support Program (SSSP).
- Conduct on-campus and off-campus counseling assignments, including presentation of SSSP Core services.
- Provide career counseling.
- Assist with a variety of career services events and programs (e.g. student assessments, classroom presentations, career fairs, student placement and follow-up, teacher and counselor in-services, etc.) for the purpose of supporting career counseling for college-level students and the smooth transition of high school to post-secondary education.
- Teach guidance courses and/or other academic courses as appropriate.
- Provide in-service to faculty and staff in areas of expertise.
- Function as liaison between Counseling Department and the various instructional areas.
- Maintain regular contact with assigned feeder schools with the district.
- Participate in the college's learning outcomes assessment program, including course, program, and institutional assessments.
- Provide students with the Student Success and Support Program core services of orientation, assessment interpretation and review, student educational planning, and academic follow up.
Counseling Department: The Counseling Department at Merced College exists to provide the support services that a student will need to be successful at Merced College. The department will provide an array of services that will not only address the cognitive domain but the affective domain as well. These integrated services will include academic, vocational, and personal counseling, as well as, academic assessment and advisement, advocacy, and follow-up. The department strives for representation from each Instructional Area and also for varied specialized skills amongst its counselors. The department also recognizes the need for a balanced faculty and staff that reflects the diversity of our community.
How to Apply: All applicants must provide the following items by the closing date in order to be considered for this recruitment. Documents may be emailed or faxed in order to meet the deadline, but all documents must be clear and legible. Email to: HR@mccd.edu, or Fax: 209-384-6103 or mail: Yeng Her, Office of Human Resources, Merced College, 3600 M Street, Merced, CA 95348-2898
- Completed District application form available online http://www.mccd.edu/offices/hr/jobs/faculty-ft.html
- Letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position
- Three recent letters of recommendation
- Legible unofficial college transcripts (undergraduate and graduate). Transcripts must include the degree major and date the institution granted the degree. Official copies are not required unless applicant is hired.
- Foreign transcripts must include a U.S. evaluation and translation.
- If minimum qualification is met without a Master’s degree, must provide a copy of current license valid in California as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT).
It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials are in the Human Resources Office on the filing deadline. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. All materials submitted in your application file become District property and will not be returned to you.
Individuals with disabilities may request any needed accommodation to participate in the application process. Please submit your request with your application to the Human Resources Office.
Interview Information: Those applicants deemed most qualified for the position will be invited to appear for oral interviews before a screening committee which includes a 15-minute counseling demonstration on a selected topic. Finalist interviews with district administrators will follow the same or next day. A limited number of candidates will be invited to interviews. Expenses for travel and accommodations will be the responsibility of the candidates.
Employee Benefits: The District pays (with small contribution from employee) health, prescription, vision and dental insurance premiums for the employee and dependents. Life and income protection insurance premiums are provided for the employee only. Sick leave and retirement benefits are also provided.
Condition of Employment: The selected candidate must be livescanned and tested for tuberculosis at his/her own expense prior to the start of employment. In compliance with the Immigration Reform Act of 1986, all new employees are required to verify their identity and the right to work in the United States. An applicant must be able to perform essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations. Faculty members, as a condition of employment, must become members of Merced College Faculty Association or pay a representation fee in an equal amount to a charity agreeable to MCFA. All offers of employment are subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.
Apply for General Councelor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly