Position type: Faculty, Full time Tenure Track
Salary: $53,217.00 per contract year (177 days)
Opens: October 13, 2017
Closes: December 1, 2017
Location: Main Campus; Olympia, WA
South Puget Sound Community College seeks candidates for the 2018-2019 academic year to fill a full-time tenure track position in transitional and pre-calculus math. This position is scheduled to begin effective September 10, 2018.
Successful candidates will possess the interest, skills and abilities to help college teams lead the state in innovative and collaborative learning experiences designed to optimize student success. Successful candidates will exhibit the following qualities:
- Place student success at the center of all decision-making.
- Engage with students, faculty, staff and administrators to create a community of learners.
- Seek opportunities for teaching and learning excellence.
- Embrace change, risk-taking and innovation.
- Respect the richness of diverse cultural values, beliefs and practices of others.
- Contribute to the technical and general education of students who will apply learning to the world of work and transfer their education to a university.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
Faculty members will work with other faculty, staff, and administrators to:
- Teach courses for STEM and non-STEM majors ranging from basic math to trigonometry.
- Create and facilitate contextualized and integrated learning experiences in Math in relation to identified college pathways that are linked to career goals.
- Create authentic assessments of students’ knowledge, skills, and abilities in Math that measure course, program, and college wide outcomes.
- Apply multiple teaching and learning strategies that promote the affective, cognitive and kinesthetic domains of learning.
- Teach online, hybrid, and/or e-Learning enhanced courses.
- Use local, state, and national data and analytics to continuously improve strategies for student success.
- Advise students regarding academic pathways and the courses needed to reach each student’s academic goals.
- Use a wide range of learning resources, tools and technologies to improve access and student success in higher education.
- Serve on committees that support the shared governance of the college.
- Master’s degree in math or in math education.
- At least two years of experience teaching math as the instructor of record.
- Knowledge of and experience working with Learning Management Systems.
- Experience teaching math in an open-admission college or university and knowledge of transfer and AA programs.
- Substantial experience teaching fully online or hybrid math courses.
- Experience developing and evaluating curricula for face-to-face and online environments at the course and program level.
- Knowledge of adult learning theory.
- Knowledge of outcomes and outcomes assessment.
- Evidence of innovative and diverse teaching methods.
- Evidence of ongoing professional development as an educator and scholar.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with colleagues and students of various cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, physical abilities, and levels of preparedness
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates may apply by submitting the following items:
- Completed SPSCC Employment Application
- Letter of formal application that addresses your ability to perform the responsibilities and competencies described in this announcement and please include a statement of how you would contribute to the diversity of this campus.
- Resume of all educational and professional experience that demonstrates how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications.
- Copies of unofficial transcripts.
Send application materials via one of the delivery methods below- email is preferred:
Human Resource Office
South Puget Sound Community College
2011 Mottman Road SW
Olympia, WA 98512
Fax: (360) 596-5706