Outreach Coordinator - Center for African Studies (A1700641)
Center for African Studies
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Outreach Coordinator will develop, implement, and evaluate the Center's outreach programs, as well as coordinate with the Director and Associate Director in overall Center programming development and implementation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and administer Center outreach programs and projects under the direction of the Associate Director, with primary responsibility for developing, planning, organizing, and executing conferences, workshops, weekly brown bag meetings, public events, and other outreach activities.
- Initiate new programs and activities for campus and external constituencies and help expand the Center's reach locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally.
- Serve as the Center Foreign Language & Area Studies Fellowships (FLAS) Coordinator; responsibilities include: serve on and attend meetings of the joint Center FLAS task force, advertise FLAS awards, plan and conduct FLAS orientations in cooperation with other Centers and Illinois International Business Operations (IBOPS), liaise with IBOPS on FLAS-related financial matters, arrange for mandatory IRIS pre- and post-FLAS proficiency testing in coordination with faculty, complete all IRIS FLAS reports (including overseas travel requests) in a timely manner to meet DOE deadlines.
- Work with other area studies personnel and faculty to design, coordinate, staff, and implement joint outreach activities (public and special events).
- Develop, initiate and oversee projects for outreach programming that includes campus, K-12, community college, business and media communities.
- Liaise with other outreach coordinators at Illinois, Northwestern, and other Africa-NRC centers, and represent CAS at national outreach initiatives, workshops, and conferences.
- Collect, organize, and disseminate information for CAS listservs, website, newsletter, and social media sites Responsible for the production of the bi-annual Habari newsletter.
- Help supervise student employees in tasks directly related to the outreach coordinator's position; supervision includes assigning tasks and evaluating performance.
- Help develop ideas for outreach programming and assist and in data collection and entry and narrative writing for grant proposals and reporting.
- Build relationships with constituent communities by attending educational events and community programs and publicizing Center activities.
- Bachelor's degree in a humanities, social science, or education field.
- Experience in educational or outreach programming.
- Strong computer skills: Microsoft Office, databases, social media and websites.
- Strong writing and public speaking/presentation skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision.
- Interdisciplinary and creative orientation.
- Master's degree; study in a regional language and in African Studies.
- Experience in K-12 teaching or programs.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time, academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
To apply for this position, please create a candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter and resume by October 26, 2017. Online application will require names and contact information including email addresses for three professional references. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Terri Gitler at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Outreach Coordinator - Center for African Studies (A1700641)
Open Date: 10/12/2017
Organization Name: Center for African Studies