The Groundskeeper is responsible for landscaping and maintaining assigned areas. Maintenance of the assigned areas includes keeping the grounds in clean and orderly condition. The Groundskeeper is responsible for general maintenance and upkeep of grounds areas as well as specific detailing of the landscape and flowerbeds.
Duties and Tasks:
- Mows lawns and trims grass around walks, flower beds and walls.
- Prunes shrubs and trees to shape and improve growth.
- Removes damaged leaves, branches, and twigs using mowers, tractors and other hand and power tools.
- Lays out and tends flower beds or other decorative vegetation.
- Maintains and sharpens tools and makes minor repairs on equipment, as needed.
- Plants, fertilizes, waters, repair/replace parts on irrigation system and uses herbicides and insecticides to maintain grass, flowers, trees and shrubs.
- Removes snow and ice from walks and driveways.
- Spreads salt, picks up litter, rakes, bags and burns of leaves.
- Cleans drainage ditches and culverts.
- Maintains driveways and parking lots.
- Repairs fences, gates, walls, walks and outbuildings using carpentry, masonry and painting tools.
- Performs routine cleaning and maintenance on gardening and grounds equipment.
- Operates trucks and assorted power equipment.
- Attends training programs (classroom and virtual) as designated.
- Complies with all company safety and risk management policies and procedures.
- Reports all accidents and injuries in a timely manner.
- Participates in regular safety meetings, safety training and hazard assessments.
- Applies all applicable OSHA and related local safety requirements to all assigned work.
- Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- Serves as a lead groundskeeper mowing lawns and trimming and edging around walks, flower beds and walls.
- Assists in training, assigning and checking the work of lower level employees.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and other departments with professionalism and respect.
- Ability to maintain a professional relationship with all coworkers, vendor representatives, supervisors, managers, customers and client representatives.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- High School diploma, GED or equivalent experience preferred.
- 2 or more years of related work experience.
- Horticultural training required.
- Certification in pesticide application.
- Knowledge of and proficiency in all OSHA and local requirements related to all assigned work.
- Ability to use all relevant electronic and communication devices.
- Ability to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 8 hours).
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, push and/or pull, and frequently lift up to 35 pounds and occasionally lift/move 40 pounds.
- Close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus, with or without corrective lenses.
- Significant walking or other means of mobility.
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting.
- Sports and Field grounds experience.
The work environment characteristics described here are a representation of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office and University, handle various type of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representation of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Saint Leo University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success.
Job ID 2017-1673
Job Locations US-FL-Saint Leo