At the Long Island State Veterans Home, our Registered Nurses are critical members of the team who diagnose and treat responses to actual or potential health problems by means of nursing methods and techniques such as case finding, health teaching and counseling. Incumbents provide care supportive to and restorative of health and well-being, while adhering to a medical regimen.Duties of a Registered Nurse may include the following but are not limited to:
- Assess the daily needs of the residents and assign the appropriate staff to meet the nursing care needs of residents on more than one unit on assigned shift.
- Supervise and evaluate the effectiveness of the nursing care provided to the resident on the assigned shift.
- Document and update the nursing care plan regarding all changes and needs of the residents.
- Communicate effectively and respond appropriately to issues and concerns of residents and families.
- Initiate and participate in residents/family educational programs.
- Effectively communicate with nursing supervisor and nursing staff all pertinent data and information relevant to nursing resident care.
- Participate in clinical in-service for nursing staff, including the certification of nursing assistants, orientation of nursing employees and skill development consistent with the needs of the residents on the assigned shift.
- Work closely with the nurse manager in the counseling and evaluation of nursing employees assigned to the nursing unit on the assigned shift.
- Act as a professional role model for staff and nursing students assigned to the nursing unit.
- Actively participate in the development and evaluation of standards of nursing practice and the quality of nursing care provided to the residents including participation in quality assurance studies.
- Demonstrate proficiency in providing nursing care for residents with complex care needs.
- Oversee nursing staff to determine resident assignment and unit concerns.
- Demonstrate outcomes in working effectively with physician and other interdisciplinary team.
- Display leadership in identifying, assessing, and evaluating unit concerns in order to improve clinical status of residents.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.Special Notes: The Long Island State Veterans Home is a tobacco free environment. Tobacco is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from the Long Island State Veterans Home Employee Health Department, clear a background investigation, submit three (3) written references, and provide a copy of the required license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer. The Long Island State Veterans Home, located on the campus of Stony Brook University, is a 350-bed skilled nursing facility with a 40-slot Adult Day Health Care Program dedicated to the care of honorably discharged Veterans of the United States Armed Forces, their spouses and Gold Star parents. Join an organization whose people make a difference every day and where commitment, compassion, initiative and leadership are recognized and rewarded. We care for America's heroes every day. Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply. IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING(631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Official Job Title: Nurse II
Job Field: Nursing
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Nursing-Long Island State Veterans Home
Schedule: Full-time Night Shift 11:00pm-7:30amNursing-Long Island State Veterans Home
Posting Start Date: Oct 12, 2017
Posting End Date: Oct 26, 2017, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: As per Civil Services guidelines
Salary Grade: SG16