Who We Are:
The Office of Information Technology Department operates in a support role for every department and school on the University of Colorado Colorado Springs Campus. Offering services from Help Desk to classroom AV support, web development to IT security and compliance.
- Coordinate with network cable installation vendors.
- Install copper and fiber optic data lines. Terminate Copper Ethernet and fiber optic cables, polish fiber optic ends and install connectors.
- Perform OTDR tests and interpret results
- Document physical network including fiber paths, organize and label data closet cables.
- Troubleshoot issues with campus fiber optic, copper Ethernet, and campus one card door access controllers and card readers.
- Resolve network connectivity issues on campus TCP/IP network.
- Backup Cisco network switch configurations. Install and upgrade switches and switch software.
- Configure and maintain network monitoring software
- Attend construction meetings and walk-throughs to represent the Office of Information Technology on technology build out when necessary.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Understanding of fiber optic cable types, connector types, termination methods, distance limitations and OTDR testing and interpretation of results.
- Knowledge of computer based drawing packages used to document cabling
- Knowledge of TCP/IP troubleshooting
- Knowledge of Cisco IOS switch and router commands.
- Must be able to work in a team environment, have good communication skills, and be able to follow change control procedures.
- Knowledge of basic project management and ability to keep tasks on track.
- Ability to terminate cables which requires the ability to differentiate colors. Ability to climb ladders, lift moderate amount of weight, such as network switch and UPS backup systems.
For the purposes of FLSA this position has been determined to be exempt from (not eligible for) overtime under FLSA.
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree and one year of experience working in the installation and basic configuration of network equipment and network cable plants in an enterprise environment or relevant work experience can be substituted on a year-for-year basis in lieu of a degree.
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by October 26th, 2017 at 11:59 pm will receive full consideration. Position is open until filled. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire
Travel for in-person interviews will be reimbursed. If you are offered the job and do not accept, no reimbursement will be allowed. • The successful candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States upon hire. • The University of Colorado Colorado Springs will not sponsor work visas or permanent resident applications for this position. • Telephone interviews tentatively scheduled for 2 - 3 Nov • On campus interviews tentatively scheduled for 9-10 Nov
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40089 - CS-Telecommunications
Posting Date: Oct 12, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sarah Mensch
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00740372