Posting Date October 12, 2017
Position Title Report Developer
Vacancy # V-1163
Department Enterprise Software Services
Division Information Technology
The Report Developer will be responsible for the full development life cycle with Cognos reporting including gathering and documenting reporting requirements, analysis, design, development, implementation and support of mission-critical reports, dashboards.
- Gather business requirements and complete analysis, design, development, testing and implementation of reporting and analytic needs across the campus using Cognos (Version 10.2.1).
- Document requirements, designs and data/metadata definitions.
- Develop and manage reporting standards based on best practices while conforming to existing internal security guidelines.
- Implement guidelines and processes related to the functionality and administration of the developer toolset.
- Co-ordinate and manage updates and patches to keep reporting software platforms current.
- Work closely with Java developers to integrate Cognos reports into home grown Java based applications.
- Performance tuning of existing reports.
- Provide technical support and mentoring to junior Cognos report developers.
- Provide on-going production support.
- Contribute to report development end-user training and materials. Conduct training sessions as necessary.
- Ensure proper configuration of production and non-production environments.
- Deliver University Analytics requirements by designing solutions aligned with business process and data needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
- B.S. in Information Systems, Computer Science, engineering or other technical areas which provides analysis and programming experience.
- Proficiency with Cognos product suite and at least 2 years hands-on experience writing Cognos reports.
- Significant working knowledge writing complex SQL, PL/SQL queries
- Experience in a Higher Education environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical, conceptual and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently and well as within a team
- At least 4 years of experience working with users in requirements gathering, developing and implementing reports and developing documentation
- Experience with performance tuning of reporting queries
- Solid understanding of database and Data Warehouse concepts
- Experience working with Oracle and SQL server databases
- Certifications related to Cognos.
- Experience with Ellucian Banner, Banner ODS, Workday and/or PeopleSoft
- Experience with metadata management tool, preferably Data Cookbook
- Understanding of Data Warehousing concepts
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION