Assistant Professor - Physics
Eastern Washington University invites applications for a full-time, tenure track Assistant Professor of Physics with a start date of September 2018.
Preference will be given to those with teaching experience at the college level, with research experience in experimental physics, and with interest in involving undergraduate students in tabletop experimental projects.
The department seeks candidates who show the potential of becoming excellent teachers, scholars, mentors and role models for undergraduates, and who are enthusiastic about teaching at the undergraduate level.
Candidate must also demonstrate interest, ability, and/or experience promoting cultural competency, universal accessibility and diversity.
Primary responsibilities: - The successful candidate will be able to:
- Teach both lower and upper division undergraduate physics courses.
- Develop a program which provides opportunities for undergraduate research
- Seek external funding
- All faculty are expected to engage in effective teaching and assessment of student learning.
Screening will begin in early November; applications will be accepted until further notice. All materials will be held in strictest confidence; references will not be contacted until candidates have been notified.
About Eastern Washington University
Eastern is a regional, comprehensive university located in Cheney, 20 minutes from downtown Spokane. In addition to Eastern's Cheney campus, we also offer our Riverpoint campus in Spokane, plus additional teaching/learning centers located in other cities throughout Washington State. Enrollment has reached over 12,000 students. The Cheney-Spokane area is the heart of the Inland Northwest, with excellent restaurants, theater, shopping, skiing, hiking, lakes, a choice of living in a medium-sized city or a small town, and high quality schools and housing.Eastern Washington University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Eastern Washington University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, and applications from members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged.
Conditions of Employment
Successful candidate will be required to pass a background check and show proof of eligibility to work in the U.S. pursuant to U.S. immigration laws.
- PhD in Physics or closely related field
- Demonstrated ability to apply a culturally responsive and flexible approach that is supportive to the diverse needs including universal accessibility of our students, faculty, staff and the public.
Preference will be given to candidates who offer one or more of the preferred qualifications defined below
- College level teaching experience
- Experimental physics research experience
- Interest in involving UG students in tabletop experimental projects