Chief Financial Officer
Department: Chief Financial Officer
Job title: Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Reports to: President
Supervises: Professional and managerial staff in the finance division
Position type: Full-time
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Purpose: This individual serves as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the college with responsibility of providing leadership and financial guidance that ensures the fiscal integrity of the institution. The CFO reports directly to the President, serves on the President’s Cabinet, and represents the institution at local, state and national meetings. The CFO is expected to drive a culture of accountability, consistency and equity. An entrepreneurial spirit is required for this position, along with a commitment to providing a high level of customer service. The CFO maintains the official fiscal records of the college, establishing internal controls to safeguard its assets. Additionally, the CFO provides long range planning, prepares official fiscal reports, develops and manages the college budget, recommends financial policies and implementation procedures when needed, and leads the development and management of the college budget.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide general supervision of the finance office functions.
- Develop and maintain internal controls for all finance office activities.
- Prepare the college’s management budget and monitor activity through the year.
- Prepare the college’s legal budget and submit to the county and state.
- Supervise solicitation of competitive bids from financial institutions for investment of the college’s idle funds.
- Review and report to the Board of Trustees’ Finance Committee on the financial condition of the Kansas Municipal Investment Pool.
- Provide administrative leadership while working with Bond Counsel and Financial Advisor to coordinate activities relating to issuance of long-term debt obligations to finance major construction projects.
- Prepare and file annual disclosures on long-term debt as required by Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Conduct financial analysis to ensure accuracy of financial records of the college.
- Direct preparation of all official financial reports for the college.
- Coordinate completion of audit schedules and timing of the college’s external audits.
- Coordinate completion of annual financial reports (the audits) in accordance with GASB (Governmental Accounting Standards Board) and accounting standards generally accepted in the United States of America for review by external auditors.
- Manage the preparation of accurate and timely reconciliations for all college bank accounts.
- Serve as a valued member of President’s Cabinet.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
To be successful in this position, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements listed below are representative of the experience, skills and abilities required.
- Master of Business Administration degree with Finance or Accounting emphasis. Certified Public Accountant or the equivalent strongly preferred.
- Educational background must include graduate level study, which affords a thorough understanding of the accounting and business functions of a comprehensive community college.
- A minimum of seven years of experience as a successful financial manager required.
- Experience in a higher education setting preferred.
- Experience working with Ellucian system preferred.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with trustees, administrators, faculty, staff and students.
- Ability to engage and work effectively with the external community.
- Ability to work effectively in a consultative, team-oriented decision-making culture, including a willingness to educate and explain as well as to be educated.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the college mission.
- Demonstrated progressive leadership skills.
- Demonstrated cultural competency.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit. Occasionally the employee will bend or twist at the neck more than the average person. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift items. The employee is directly responsible for safety, wellbeing, and work output.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as the ability to read handwritten or typed material, and the ability to adjust focus. The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public and other staff.
SALARY: $110,000 – 135,000 per year
APPLY BY: Open until filled; first review of applications will take place on November 1, 2017.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of position given this title and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job related duties through their hiring department. Specific job related duties assigned by hiring department shall be consistent with the representative essential functions listed above and shall not be expanded in role or scope.
PLEASE COMPLETE A KCKCC APPLICATION WHICH MAY BE FOUND AT WWW.KCKCC.EDU UNDER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES. IF A POSITION REQUIRES A DEGREE, PLEASE ATTACH COPY OF TRANSCRIPTS/AND OR/ DEGREE CERTIFICATE TO YOUR APPLICATION. OTHER ATTACHMENTS SUCH AS COVER LETTER OR RESUME CAN ALSO BE UPLOADED AND ATTACHED TO THE APPLICATION.