Faculty - Assistant Professor - Western American Literature and Culture/Native American Studies
Faculty - Assistant Professor - Western American Literature and Culture/Native American/Folklore Studies
Position Category: Faculty - Tenure Track (FT)
The Department of English and Literature at Utah Valley University invites applications for a tenure-track position in Western American literature and Culture, specializing in Native American and/or Folklore studies, to begin August 2018. We are particularly interested in candidates whose expertise includes one or more of the following areas of specialization: ecocriticism and/or environmental humanities, race/ethnicity studies, American folklore broadly conceived, postcolonialism, and contemporary theory and criticism. Successful candidates will situate their teaching and scholarship with respect to UVU's emphasis on Engaged Learning and commitment to diversity and inclusion. Teach up to four courses per semester, including first-year composition.
Ph.D. required. (ABD accepted if completed by August, 2018.)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Academic expertise in the indicated fields; familiarity with the state of the scholarly conversation within those fields; communication skills (speech and writing).
- Knowledge and experience in teaching courses in ecocriticism and/or environmental humanities, race/ethnicity studies, American folklore broadly conceived, postcolonialism, and contemporary theory and criticism.
- Knowledge of curriculum development and instructional strategies and techniques in education.
- Knowledge of curriculum development, program development, and evaluation.
- Skills in counseling, advising techniques, and interpersonal communications.
- Skills in public speaking and writing with a variety of individuals and groups.
- Ability to motivate, manage, and evaluate students and work effectively with people.
- Ability to follow written and oral procedures and instructions.
UVU offers an excellent benefits package which includes a generous leave policy, 12 paid holidays, affordable medical and dental insurance options, life and AD&D insurance, tuition waiver (undergraduate resident) for employee and dependents and substantial employer contribution to a retirement plan.
Pay Range: DOQ
Advertisement Number: FAC12917
Open Date: 10/05/2017
Review Start Date: 11/05/2017
Close Date: 12/15/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicant: Please list a minimum of three references. References may be contacted at some point during the screening and selection process for a letter of recommendation.
To apply, visit: https://www.uvu.jobs/postings/3581
Employment decisions are made on the basis of an applicant’s qualifications and ability to perform the job without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and over), disability, veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth, or pregnancy-related conditions, genetic information, or other bases protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.