Director of Development, Corporate and Foundation Relations
Director of Development Job Description:
Identifies, engages, cultivates, solicits, and stewards current and prospective donors in expanding their financial support of the work of the American Red Cross. Responsible for meeting an annual revenue target by working with an assigned portfolio of donors and prospects to advance the mission of the organization and assist donors in creating meaning in their lives through giving to the American Red Cross. Directs and oversees the work assignment and performance of assigned Major Gift Officers, other staff and volunteers.
Director of Development Job Responsibilities:
1. Strategy: Develops and executes ongoing strategy for qualifying suspects and moving them to prospect status using tools such as small cultivation events, research and community networking, with a goal of 30% of the portfolio having been identified by the Development Director. Works collaboratively with other departments and partners with development staff at the National Office to create customized solicitation strategies matching the objectives of the organization and interests of the donor/prospect.
2. Fundraising Targets and Portfolio Management: Manages a portfolio of donors and prospects. Responsible for minimum annual fundraising goal ($500,000 for the current fiscal year) as specified in performance standards, including both renewable gifts and new incremental revenue. Personally solicits assigned donor portfolio, including preparation of personalized materials when needed. Revenue target may increase due to major domestic disasters.
3. Prospect Development: Works with community Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward appropriate donors. Identifies potential planned giving prospects among assigned donors and partners with Region's assigned Gift Planning Officer to solicit those prospects. Implements programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors at the $2,500 level or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue for the American Red Cross. Updates donor records in region and/or district database and Salesforce.com following donor contacts.
4. Relationship Development: Develops ongoing relationships with major donors for the benefits of the American Red Cross. Accountable for cultivating relationships for individual fundraising, organizational fundraising or both as outlined below:
- Individuals: Cultivates relationships with individual donors personally and by supporting volunteer leaders in peer-to-peer outreach, (if appropriate) using giving societies such s the Tiffany Circle Society of Women Leaders as a key program.
- Organizations: Cultivates, solicits and stewards support from corporations and foundations to meet annual fundraising goals within their Regions. This includes assisting corporations in achieving their goals in strengthening their brand, marketing, and employee engagement by being proficient at clearly articulating Red Cross programs, listening to corporations' needs and aligning programs to their interests, preparing grant proposals, and engaging foundation staff and foundation board members to cultivate and solicit support for the American Red Cross.
5. Staff and Volunteer Management: Provides strong leadership, develops and sets individual and team performance goals and manages/drives change. Hires, manages, trains and evaluates staff and volunteers. Finds and implements ways to improve or increase the quality and production for the work directed.
6. Other: Participates in disaster relief fundraising projects as appropriate.
7. It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintain a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
8. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the mission of the American Red Cross.
Director of Development Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree is highly desirable.
- Minimum 7 years of major gifts leadership experience. Proactive development leader with an established track record of increasing philanthropic revenue from diverse constituencies
- Experience in the development and implementation of a broad-based fundraising program including personally opening doors, cultivation and successfully closing major gifts.
- Corporate and/or Business-to-Business sales leadership experience may be substituted for fundraising experience.
- Significant expertise with the area's funding community highly desirable. Progressive experience in successful development programs and knowledge of "best practices" in development.
- Minimum 3 years supervisory experience.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
As one of the nation's premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
New York, NY
Wed, 11 Oct 2017 08:29:52 PDT