Assistant Professor in Science Education
AST PROFJob Description:
The School of Teaching and Learning (http://education.ufl.edu/school-teaching-learning/) in the College of Education at the University of Florida (Gainesville, FL), a comprehensive land-grant research university, invites applications for an Assistant Professor in Science Education to begin in the Fall 2018 semester. This is a 9-month, tenure track position, with the possibility of summer employment. This faculty member will join a cohesive, collaborative, and energetic STEM education research community committed to high quality scholarship, service, and teaching. The University of Florida is strongly committed to the diversity of its workforce. Applicants from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Conduct scholarly activities commensurate with the expectations of a tenure-track faculty member at a top-10 public research institution and member of the AAU
- Participate and collaborate with STEM and education faculty
- Pursue external research funding
- Publish in significant, high-impact refereed journals
- Advise, mentor and engage graduate students in research
- Teach (face-to-face and/or online) undergraduate- and graduate-level courses in science education
- Provide service to the program, school, college, university, and profession
Salary is negotiable, competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experienceMinimum Requirements:
- Doctorate in science education or concentration in science education, earned by August 2018
- Evidence of a well-articulated research agenda focusing on high-impact topics important to the profession
- Record of scholarship in the field of science education as demonstrated through publications and presentations at national conferences, commensurate with experience
- Knowledge and use of a variety of research methodologies
- Evidence of potential to propose, secure, and successfully manage externally funded projects
- Record of P-12 teaching experience in science education
- Demonstrated commitment to collaboration with faculty, students, and schools
- Teaching, research, and/or service experiences with diverse populations
- Teaching experience via distance education and other technology-assisted instruction
- Record of effectively mentoring graduate students
- Ability to positively contribute to national visibility of a science education program
- Active engagement with and/or leadership in science education professional organizations
Applicants will submit materials at http://jobs.ufl.edu. Applicants will need to upload (1) a letter of application addressing qualifications and describing required and desired qualifications, (2) a curriculum vita, and (3) contact information for three references who will be contacted and asked to send a letter of recommendation through the online application system. Applicants should reference requisition 505030, position 00032877. To ensure full consideration application materials should be submitted by November 3, 2017. Applications received after this date may be considered at the discretion of the committee and hiring authority. Applicants requiring technical assistance should contact Human Resources at 352-392-2477. Inquiries about the position may be addressed to Dr. Kent Crippen (firstname.lastname@example.org), Search Committee Chair.
The selection process will be conducted in accordance with Florida’s “Government-in-the-Sunshine” and Public Records laws. Search committee meetings and interviews are open to the public, and applications, CVs, and other documents related to the search may be available for public inspection.
Upon hire, an official transcript will be required. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD).
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY: The University of Florida, founded in 1853, is a public land-grant, sea-grant and space-grant research university and one of the most academically diverse universities in the nation. UF recently became the first Florida school to break into the list of top 10 best public universities, coming in at No. 9, according to the 2018 U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges rankings. Other national rankings such as 2nd by Forbes and 7th by Kiplinger in their respective lists of “Best Values in Public Colleges” are a result of UF’s commitment to provide the highest quality education at the best value. UF is home to 16 colleges and more than 200 research, service and education centers, bureaus and institutes, and boasts more than 4,000 faculty members, 50,000 students and 415,000 living alumni. Faculty scholars last year generated more than $700 million in research awards. The Florida Legislature designated UF as a “preeminent” state university in 2013. UF has announced plans to hire 500 additional faculty.
ABOUT THE AREA: UF is situated in Gainesville in North Central Florida, a progressive college town that blends big-city cultural and athletic offerings with small-town friendliness and Southern charm, along with excellent schools. Gainesville is often recognized as one of America’s best college towns and is easily accessible to three major metropolitan areas (Jacksonville, Orlando and Tampa). The National Arbor Day Foundation has recognized Gainesville as a “Tree City USA” every year since 1982. Add the allure of Florida’s famous sunshine, tropical breezes, and abundant wilderness, springs, rivers and seashores nearby, and it is little wonder that top-caliber faculty and students find our College and University to be the perfect balance of premier academics and a fulfilling lifestyle.Health Assessment Required: No