Sous Chef- Catering Department
Haverford College seeks to hire a full time, non-exempt, fully benefits eligible Sous Chef to be responsible for assisting the Executive Chef in planning and execution of resident dining and catering production, which includes exhibition style cooking.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Responsible for assigning and delegating work of the foodservices personnel including the training of the kitchen staff in food safety, food preparation, kitchen safety, and sanitation and customer service.
- Supervises and provides support to all food production staff to ensure that tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Some menu planning and production record recording duties.
- Assists in waste management to optimize and reduced waste, impact to environment and profitability of the dining services.
- Works closely with students, faculty & staff to ensure an engaging experience at each and every meal.
- Supports the Executive Chef through other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience supervising culinary teams that deliver varied menus for large numbers of guests in multiple locations
- Culinary degree preferred
- Must have previous supervisory experience
- Well versed in sanitation procedures and safe food handling techniques
- Must be well flexible and able to work in a fast paced customer driven environment with a diverse staff and guest base
- Must possess demonstrated creativity in presentation and culinary planning to drive increased guest satisfaction
Special Requirements: Includes early morning hours, evening hours, and weekends. A clear Motor Vehicle Record check is required.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) Up to three hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Up to three hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Up to three hours
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: three to six hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): three to six hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): three to six hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): three to six hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): six to eight hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): six to eight hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Up to three hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): three to six hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Up to three hours
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Up to three hours
To Apply: To receive full consideration, please apply by Friday, October 20, 2017.
Internal Applicants: Please visit https://www.myworkday.com/haverford/d/inst/15$158872/9925$72.htmld
External Applicants: Please visit https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Sous-Chef-Catering_R62
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.