I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
A Laboratory Manager Position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Inhee Chung in the Department of Anatomy and Regenerative Biology at the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences.
The Department of Anatomy and Regenerative Biology is home to some of the University’s leading educators and researchers. As a modern biomedical research department, faculty members direct NIH-funded projects, with a focus on molecular, cellular, developmental, and physiological aspects in the field of cell and regenerative biology.
The Chung lab focuses on understanding how membrane associated oncoproteins contribute to metastatic cancer progression. We use cutting-edge single-molecule and super-resolution microscopic methods, and biophysical and mathematical approaches, as well as conventional biological techniques.
We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated lab manager to assist with setting up a new lab, manage day-to-day lab business, and actively participate in research projects. This position is initially for one year, with an option for renewal.
- Partners with the PI to set up a new lab
- Create inventory, DNA, and order lists
- Order lab supplies (includes procurement and planning supplies of experiments)
- Maintain general organization and functionality within the lab
- Organize and update lab protocols
- Train and supervise students on lab techniques and briefs all of lab protocols
- Maintain animal inventory (organization and coding of animal colony)
- Perform techniques including: mutagenesis, cloning, PCR, tissue culture, Western Blot, immuno-precipitation, chromatography, transfection, stable cell line generation
- Perform experiments using animal and molecular biology techniques independently
- Plan and execute lab experiments
This position performs other duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
1) Adept in biochemistry techniques (immunoblotting, immuno-precipitation, chromatography) and molecular
biology methods (cloning, mutagenesis).
2) Experience with mouse models.
3) Well organized, independent, and responsible team player.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Support Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30-5:00 Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000395 Job Open Date: 10/11/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: 12/31/2018 Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2