Grants and Contracts Specialist - Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory (A1700640)
Grants and Contracts Specialist
Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Extended until October 27, 2017
The Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory at the College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Grants and Contracts Specialist. Reporting to the Associate Director of Financial Operations, the Grants and Contracts Specialist will support the pre- and post-award sponsored research activities associated with the preparation and reviews of proposals, monitoring and reporting of awards, and interacting with various funding agencies and collaborating institutions as well as University faculty and staff in performing these activities. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Advise faculty and staff on terms of research agreements, interpretations of guidelines, and the requirements of such projects, according to university policy and department practices.
- Prepare financial reports and analyses to assist faculty with the administration and development of their sponsored research projects. Alert the faculty when budget revisions are needed and advise on the financial aspects of hiring decisions and major spending decisions, such as large equipment purchases.
- Monitor Investigator and key personnel effort on sponsored projects to ensure obligations are met.
- Recommend changes to appointments to ensure compliance with effort commitments.
- Assist faculty and work with the Department's Business Office to coordinate various post-award activities such as purchases, personnel appointments, reimbursements, and other charges on sponsored research projects, including an ad-hoc analysis of appropriateness of expenditures on research funds. Review and approve purchasing transactions and reimbursements for allowability on projects and compliance with Office of Business and Financial Services (OBFS) policy.
- Prepare and record Banner earning transfers and journal entries, including those for month- and year-end close activities, rogue CFOP and other error corrections and necessary entries. Monitor budgets, account balances, and expenditures, making transfers when necessary.
- Create documents to modify terms or extensions, issue sub-awards, and meet various internal and external reporting requirements by deadlines.
- Complete sponsored project close-out reviews and work with the OBFS Grants and Contracts Office to close completed project accounts in a timely manner.
- Work with the OBFS Grants and Contracts Office to ensure funded project accounts are established in a timely manner, requesting and monitoring anticipation accounts when necessary.
- Represent the department during internal and external sponsored research audits. Describe department and university financial processes and procedures and respond to financial inquiries regarding the sponsored research project in question.
- Serve as a liaison for the department when working with the OBFS Grants and Contracts Office and OSP.
- Assist with the Proposal submission.
- Assume additional appropriate duties to further the mission of the laboratory.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, management, accounting or a related field.
- Experience in a complex business, academic, research or government environment, preferably at an institution of higher learning.
- Ability to develop proactive workflow processes to complete tasks in the most efficient manner.
- Effective organizational skills to track critical tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy in preparing and entering information.
- Two years of professional level accounting, managerial and/or business experience.
- Experience with proposal preparation and submission.
- Previous University of Illinois work experience
The Grants and Contracts Specialist position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by October 27, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Leslie Lewin Reinhart, [email protected], 217-300-3872.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Grants and Contracts Specialist - Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory (A1700640)
Open Date: 10/11/2017
Close Date: 10/27/2017
Organization Name: Micro and Nanotechnology Lab