Laboratory Technician 1
Working Title: Laboratory Technician 1
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Medicine, Infectious Diseases
Posting Date: 10-11-2017
The Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, at the University of Virginia is seeking a Laboratory and Research Technician 1. This position works with the Principal Investigator, Laboratory Specialist, and other key personnel to support the clinical research laboratory. The incumbent collects, enters, and analyzes research data; compiles reports; and processes, prepares, and ships laboratory specimens. The incumbent manages, at the direction of the PI and/or Lab Specialist, all laboratory inventory including international labs procurement. The incumbent also prepares research documentation, reports, graphs, and other materials, keeping appropriate logs and preparing study materials. Work is routine and can be performed with some degree of independence, when following established protocols and procedures.
Qualified applicants must have a High School Diploma or equivalent and at least one year of laboratory experience. Relevant student experience may be considered. A Bachelor's degree in a related science may substitute for required experience. Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook) is also required. Procedural and technical experience working in a research laboratory setting is preferred. Experience with Oracle purchasing, Discoverer and PowerPoint is preferred.
This position is restricted and contingent upon the continuation of funding.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Demonstrated ability to follow set policies and procedures.
2. Ability to adhere to regulatory guidelines in daily work.
3. Ability to evaluate and apply information and provide increasingly complex advice.
4. Excellent oral and written communication skills in daily interactions.
5. Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
6. Ability to keep records and manage confidential data.
7. Working knowledge of basic computer applications and various database and software programs.
8. Basic knowledge of clinical research.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=82987