General Mechanic - Electricial / HVAC
General Mechanic - Electricial / HVAC-1702898
Required Qualifications: Per Civil Service Standards and Specifications. Four years of full time experience in the Electrical field under a skilled journeyman which provides training equivalent to that given in an apprenticeship program. Apprenticeship training in Electrical or training gained by the completion of technical courses in a trade school or institute may be substituted for the above experience on a year-for-year basis. The General Mechanic performs journey level work in the Electrical field and semi-skilled work in the HVAC field. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver’s License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. (***Out-of-State Applicants, see "Special Notes”). Ability to work in confined spaces and from a ladder, scaffolding or man lift over ten feet in height. Must understand motors, motor control centers, over-current devices and controls and HTHW systems. Must be able to use power & manual electrical tools and electrical testing equipment. Must successfully pass a pulmonary function test to be certified to wear protective equipment (i.e. Hepa filter type respirators). The test shall be provide by the department.
Preferred Qualifications: Working knowledge of building operating systems, including Siemens; Johnson Control; Carrier; Trane and Automated Logic. Familiarity with DLAR facilities and BSL-3 labs. Ability to troubleshoot electrical devices, motor controls and basic HVAC equipment.
Brief Description of Duties: The General Mechanic will perform preventative maintenance on HVAC Electrical systems and equipment to include motors, transformers, switches, controls and all related equipment, follow directions from supervisors/managers, work requests or PM schedules, including proper equipment shutdown, electrical lockout, timely completion of work, assuring proper restart of equipment to service, removal of old parts and clean-up of area after completion. Must follow Plant Safety Policies/Procedures and wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all time. As a General Mechanic you must be able to climb, stoop, and move heavy objects or equipment. The selected candidate will:
- Install new electrical devices and equipment for HVAC heating and cooling systems in compliance with appropriate standards. Follow blueprints of design work that is to be done as per instructions, assuring completion of assignment is proper and professional.
- Supervise, prioritize, plan and layout work for installation and preventative maintenance of mechanical equipment. Operate, maintain and repair HVAC systems. Install, conduct repairs and troubleshoot motor control problems.
- Maintain all HVAC and other mechanical equipment, including but not limited to, wiring for pumps, fans, pneumatic controls, building management systems, compressors, recording, boilers, chillers and steam generators. Perform electrical and refrigeration work to determine if water regulator valves need rebuilding or repair. Clean Mechanical rooms. Read and interpret sequential logic drawings on plant control writing systems. Use power and manual electrical tools and Electrical testing equipment. Locates and determines electrical malfunction using testing equipment such as ammeter, volt meter, ohmmeter, oscilloscope and test lamp.
- Monitor equipment and adjust heating systems to comply with appropriate standards and guidelines. To include the entry in to confined spaces and to work within the utility tunnel for extended periods of time. Test electrical HVAC equipment for safety and efficiency using standard test equipment and by observing the equipment when it’s functioning.
- Implement and enforce safety procedures and standards. Shows proper care when utilizing power tools, insures proper safety procedures are followed. Keep work area as clean and safe as possible. Follow all Lock Out / Tag Out procedures, including the use of the Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) required by the campus.
- Operates assigned vehicle in a safe manner obeying all Campus motor vehicle rules, regulations and parking policies. Report accidents, safety problems or service needs promptly.
- Follow the tasks provided on each work order, fills out or completes every work order daily to include time and materials used. Ability to follow directions from senior personnel and work well with peers and subordinates. Provide instructions to Maintenance assistants and/or helpers on routine jobs and equipment inspection. Responds to HVAC emergency calls on and off shift
- Other duties as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
Special Notes: This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Mandatory rehire roster candidates have preference.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Seniority for promotion is the length of service in the Operational Services Bargaining Unit. Seniority applies only to those who meet the posted qualifications/job requirements for vacant non-competitive class positions in salary grades higher than the applicants grade.
You must show how your training and experience meets the qualifications and requirements specified on the vacancy announcement. Applications failing to show the necessary qualifications will not be considered. The requirement to prove qualifications rest with the applicant.
Upon conditional offer, the State Classified Appointments Unit will ask for proof of experience. The State Classified Appointments Unit will accept only DD-214 discharge papers for a branch of the Armed Forces; and W-2 or 1040's - federal documents which give legal/taxable information about employment. Official letterhead documentation regarding length of time worked, detailed description of job duties, title, etc. will be accepted.
Time and attendance, past evaluations, disciplinary history and the ability to perform the physical and supervisory aspects of this position will be considered as part of the selection process. Verifiable proof of credentials as states above are the responsibility of the applicant. Please be prepared to document proof of qualifications with application.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Stony Brook University will be 100% tobacco-free starting January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
***Out-of-State Applicants: Please note as a condition of employment and in order for this position to be tendered, the successful incumbent will be required to provide evidence of a valid license and driving abstract from the state issuing the license within five business days of a conditional offer and must obtain a NYS driver's license within 30 days of acceptance of offer.
About Stony Brook: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff.
SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, New York, Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632-6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632-6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official Job Title: General Mechanic
Job Field: Skilled Trades
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: West Campus HVAC - COM-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.West Campus HVAC - COM-Stony Brook University
Posting Start Date: Oct 11, 2017
Posting End Date: Oct 25, 2017, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG12