Sr. Research Specialist, Papers of Thomas Jefferson
Requisition # 2017-8041
Category Research and Laboratory
Date Posted 2 weeks ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Part-Time
The Papers of Thomas Jefferson is seeking a part time Research Associate to perform historical research and provide editorial support to seven editors and one editorial associate in the preparation of content for publication by the Papers of Thomas Jefferson. The Research Associate will provide quality control through annotation checking, critical inquiry, and copyediting; will transcribe texts; and will carry out research assignments independently. The Research Associate must perform a range of tasks that require familiarity with historical original-source texts, scholarly annotation, and bibliographic, editorial, and technical systems and environments.
Annotation Evaluation and Quality Control
- Check bibliographic citations and page references in annotations for accuracy and completeness.
- Copyread annotation and other editorial content for errors and consistency according to project style and published guides.
- Assist editors with research and other tasks in support of annotation revision.
- Transcribe, edit, and verify XML files of early 19th-century manuscript and printed texts.
- Check corrections to electronic files and assist with checking page proofs of volumes.
- Assist with managing document files in web content management system.
- Perform historical research tasks and library and online searches in specialized bibliographic databases.
- Write reports and draft portions of volume content from research.
- Assist in contacting institutions to obtain digital images and publication permissions
- Bachelor's degree in history or a related field.
- Ability to perform detailed work without constant supervision and with a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to work in a collaborative scholarly environment.
- Minimum of three to five years' experience in historical research, scholarly publishing, or libraries/archives.
- Graduate degree in history or a related field.
- Knowledge of XML file format and Text Encoding Initiative (TEI) encoding.
- Reading knowledge of a Western European language.
- Familiarity with oXygen XML editing software.
- Familiarity with spreadsheet and database applications.
In addition to a CV or resume, please include a cover letter that addresses how your qualifications meet the requirements for the position.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver's License Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.