Cloud Systems Engineer
The Department of Computer Science in the College of Engineering and Applied Science is now accepting applications for a Cloud Systems Engineer. The Could Systems Engineer is a leader in the development and deployment of research and educational cloud solutions for the staff, faculty and students of the Department of Computer Science. These core services involve the development of installation, deployment, operation, and training for the use of on-premise cloud environments, commercial cloud environments and research cloud environments. The position will work independently to develop and implement an on-premise cloud environment used for research and teaching, train faculty and students on the use and configuration of on-premise, commercial and research cloud environments for research and teaching applications, troubleshoot and resolve complex issues with server hardware, virtualization, storage, and operating systems. As such the position will provide full-stack development/deployment including, but not limited to, network administration, system administration, database administration, web server administration, client/server side web application frameworks, and open-source technologies including virtualized and cloud technologies. The position will apply advanced skill in troubleshooting problems and be able to suggest both long-term solutions and near- term fixes in addition to providing root cause analysis and recommendations.
Who we are:
Founded in 1970, the Department of Computer Science at CU Boulder is focused on real-world, interdisciplinary experiences for our students. Our researchers are making advances in computer science today that will change the world tomorrow.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Cloud Solution Development and Training
- Monitor, develop, and troubleshoot the use of general methods to deploy cloud frameworks (Hadoop, Spark, experimental networks) for educational and research needs.
- Serve as a liaison for academic research computing systems such as CloudLab.us, ChameleonCloud, Jetson and campus cloud infrastructure as well as commercial academic programs, such as Google Cloud, Amazon Cloud, Azure and others.
- Arrange specific cloud frameworks (Hadoop, JupyterHub, etc) for use by courses and research projects that can be deployed on academic research computing & commercial systems.
- Train users on the use of those systems and services for faculty, graduate and undergraduate students. Clarify research and educational goals to select the appropriate cloud platform and software.
- Work in a cooperative and collaborative manner with professors, TAs, staff and students to provide educational support for cloud computing architecture, solutions and software for research projects.
- Communicate resource availability and continually work to improve processes for all cloud frameworks to maximize use and efficiency.
- Provide in-advance and impromptu technical help to ensure that both long-term solutions and near- term fixes are handled appropriately.
- Provide excellent service to faculty, students and CS staff, continuously promoting more use of the department's resources.
- Solicit new users among faculty who teach material appropriate for courses, labs or demos.
- Continuously create learning and technological opportunities for CU engineering students, ensuring that students have modern, robust technology at their disposal.
Computer Planning and Maintenance
- Maintain the existing CS research and educational cloud computing services (OpenStack cluster). Compile data usage and generates reports.
- Deploy new equipment, servers and networks to existing cloud infrastructure as needed.
- Configure and select scalable storage systems using open source technologies such as Gluster, Ceph or similar systems.
- Plan and execute system upgrades as needed.
- Develop and maintain networking solutions for cloud computing infrastructure.
- Provide on-demand assistance and troubleshooting expertise to students and faculty who have trouble with cloud computing systems.
- Anticipate needs and maintain supplies of required laboratory and technical materials.
- Undertake other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
What you should know:
Proof of eligibility to work in the United States must be produced within three (3) days of hire.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $90,000.00, commensurate with experience. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be informed. Be talented. Be successful. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in Computer Science or related field.
- Three years' experience with full-stack web application development including, but not limited to, network administration, system administration, database administration, web server administration, client/server side web application frameworks, and open-source technologies.
What you will need:
- Operational understanding of virtualized and cloud technologies as well as open source educational tools such as Moodle.
- Strong full-stack development experience.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to use prior experience and knowledge to quickly troubleshoot, diagnose and solve complex problems using appropriate technology.
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with a team to lead projects, diagnose repairs and recommend upgrades.
- Negotiates resourceful win/win solutions in a respectful manner.
- Ability to thrive in an interrupt driven, service-focused, and fast-paced environment where quick decision-making and multitasking are demonstrated daily.
- Customer service orientation toward problem solving and troubleshooting.
- Ability to work independently supporting a variety of users.
- Cultivates an atmosphere of helpfulness, responsiveness, respect, flexibility and courtesy.
- Sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural, political and geographical differences, with ability to work well with faculty, staff and students from around the world.
- Strong experience in managing production networks, servers and applications.
- Operational understanding of virtualization and cloud technologies.
- Ability to quickly implement new technologies into existing infrastructure.
What we'd like you to have:
- Master's degree from an accredited institution.
- Five years of experience with full-stack web application development including, but not limited to, network administration, system administration, database administration, web server administration, client/server web application frameworks, and open-source technologies.
- Experience in software development including gathering requirements, architecture design, and working directly with users to develop and deploy workable solutions to meet existing needs.
- UNIX/Linux networking and system administration.
- Familiarity with VMware, AWS, Docker, Google Compute Engine, VirtualBox, Docker and Kubernates.
- Experience with Cloudlab, CameleonCloud, Jetson, GoogleCould, Amazon Cloud, Azure, Hadoop and/or JupyterHub.
- Experience with Git and Git hosting; Github, Bitbucket, and also self-hosted repositories.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by October 25, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-11374.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10344 - Computer Science
Posting Date: Oct 11, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 25, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00739724