Area Accountant I
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Finance & Accounting Professional / Area Accountant I
Position #740344 - Requisition 11424
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Finance Office has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Accountant I position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Located in the heart of downtown, CU Denver provides a vibrant, urban research university experience, with academic programs ranging from the liberal arts and sciences to global energy management, music industry studies and criminal justice among eight schools and colleges. The classroom extends into the city as students study, network and build careers in the surrounding business district. CU Denver unites quality academics, ambitious research and creative work, civic consciousness and driven students-all in the lively setting of downtown Denver. Read CU Denver Quick Facts here.
This position is responsible for maintaining and executing the administrative procedures and processes required providing accounting control over the capital equipment assets by using the PeopleSoft Asset Management (PSAM) System. This position is responsible for maintaining operating lease schedules in a monthly basis and distributing campus Pooled Investment Earnings (PIE) and reconciling the distributions to the general ledger. In addition, this position is responsible for creating and reconciling a monthly debt related expense journal entries and assists with space inventory process.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Determines whether equipment expense is recorded properly in the General Ledger and makes corrections via Journal Entries when necessary.
- Assists with developing reports from the PSAM system using Microsoft Access to reconcile the PSAM System to the General Ledger.
- Assists with establishing new processes for locating missing equipment and tracking it upon its recovery including follow-up memos to Department Chairpersons.
- Determines what transactions will be downloaded to PSAM and what action is necessary for other transactions (i.e. moving incorrectly coded expenses to the appropriate account code). GAAP, GASB, University policy, and procedures provide guidance for resolution;
- Determines how to handle reconciliation issues between PSAM and PeopleSoft; including identifying the problem and correcting either PSAM or PeopleSoft. An example would be how to add equipment to PSAM that was purchased in a prior fiscal period in PeopleSoft using the wrong account code so that PSAM and PeopleSoft reflect the correct accumulated depreciation.
- Deals directly with Office of University Controller (OUC) to determine how to resolve system problem issues with PSAM such as missing reporting or incorrect depreciation calculations.
- Responsible for identifying and determining operating leases, coordinating with departments and collecting and summarizing lease information, maintaining operating lease schedules in a monthly basis, monitoring department lease payments and reconciling to the lease schedules for the completeness and accurateness.
- Distributes campus Pooled Investment Earnings (PIE) and reconciles the distributions to the general ledger.
- Creates journal entries for classification of current and non-current long-term debts, amortization of debt related expenses, mandatory transfers of principal and interest. Also, the position assists with a supervisor for bond fund reporting.
- Assists with reviewing space inventory and survey inputs by campus departments into WebSpace. Errors and or irregularities are resolved on a timely basis;
- Responsible for assisting with month-end, fiscal year-end accounting tasks and other duties as assigned.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position has been established as $47,500. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
A bachelor's degree in accounting or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
*Please attach your transcripts with your application materials.*
- Experience working with PeopleSoft Asset Management.
- Experience with and knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and governmental accounting standard pronouncements.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding interpersonal customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to follow standard written procedures in order to perform job duties.
- Problem-solving and analytical skills in financial reconciliations.
- Ability to prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) 4. College Transcripts Questions should be directed to: Sara Esau, email@example.com
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by October 24, 2017. Those who do not apply by October 24th may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60010 - ADM-AVCFA Administration
Posting Date: Oct 11, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sara Esau
Posting Contact Email: Sara.Esau@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00740344