Specific Duties Include:
• Composes, reviews, edits, produces, and duplicates audio, visual, video, and/or printed program materials for distribution to target audiences.
• Designs and updates (include graphic design and content) departmental brochures, flyers, digital promotions, reports, and similar documents
• Creates, reviews/edits layouts, drafts, and information in order to check for content, readability, and style.
• Monitors social media and engages with external audiences in electronic forums.
• Researches materials, interviews individuals, and collects information in order to compose articles, press releases, promotional pieces, reports, or catalogs in print or electronic media.
• Assists with web page design, maintenance, and content management.
• Monitors various publications and electronic sources of news and commentary for potential relevance to unit activities.
• Interacts with students and student groups in order to engage and promote unit programs, provide clarification, resolve concerns, explain requirements, processes, and/or explain goals of unit programs.
• Forecasts needs and orders marketing supplies in order to maintain inventory levels.
• Represents unit at functions, professional organizations, industry organizations, community and related external events.
• Researchers/Faculty/Staff - in order to solicit news items and interview as sources for media informational materials.
• University departments - in order to initiate bids for printing, arrange photo sessions, monitor work in progress and exchange information.
• External groups - in order to coordinate events and activities, respond to inquiries, and exchange information
• News bureau staff - in order to report on college, program or department news and to suggest story ideas.
• Student Employees - in order to answer questions, give direction and assignments and review work.
• Supervisors - in order to receive assignments and clarification, report on progress and exchange information.
• Radio/Television Stations - in order to provide media files, exchange information and conduct market surveys
Responsibility for the Work of Others
May provide first level supervision over student employees.
Responsibility for the Health/Safety of Others
No assigned responsibility.
Impact on Programs/Services/Operations
Errors in the dissemination of information to the public or within the University could cause serious inconvenience to other people both within and outside the University and have an adverse impact on the development of support and goodwill for the University.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Negligible disagreeable working conditions. The job requires moderate physical effort and involves sitting in place, viewing a VDT screen, manual dexterity for operating equipment and lifting boxes and bulk mailings of 26 to 75 pounds 26-75% of the time.
Knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Communications, Telecommunications, Journalism, Marketing, or Public Relations; up to six months of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in internal communications; news, broadcasting, and print media, and/or marketing, advertising, and creative services; graphic design; word processing; desktop publishing; web design; presentation; spreadsheet and/or database software; public presentation; or radio production; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Desired Qualifications
Demonstrated experience in graphic design and professional writing
Experience using graphic design software (INDESIGN or similar programs)
Experience with website design and development (coding)
Cover letter of interest
3 Professional references
3 examples of original design work
2 examples of professional writing
Mostly 8am-5pm with some nights and weekends as required for events and meetings.Summary of Physical Demands
The job requires moderate physical effort and involves sitting in place, viewing a VDT screen, manual dexterity for operating equipment and lifting boxes and equipment of 26 to 75 pounds 26-75% of the time.Bidding Eligibility Ends 10/17/2017 @ 11:55 PM