Learning Sciences, Assistant Professor
University at Buffalo – Graduate School of Education
Learning Sciences, Assistant Professor
The Graduate School of Education at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York invites applications for an Assistant Professor (tenure-track) position in the Learning Sciences for the Department of Learning and Instruction.
The Department of Learning and Instruction has a long history of research excellence, as well as a strong tradition of teaching and community engagement. Faculty demonstrate a commitment to creating a collegial academic environment characterized by equity, social justice, interdisciplinary collaboration, and an ethic of care.
Candidates will carry out a cutting-edge research program in the Learning Sciences, actively pursue external funding, and contribute to collaborative and interdisciplinary research in the department. Candidates will also (a) develop and teach graduate courses in the learning sciences and related areas delivered in face-to-face, hybrid and online formats; (b) contribute to the ongoing development of the Curriculum and Instruction in the Science of Learning (CISL) Ph.D. program and related concentrations; (c) actively recruit and supervise Ph.D. students; (d) support strategic initiatives across the Graduate School of Education and the campus; and (e) provide leadership and service at the local, state, and national levels.
Priority will be given to innovative scholars who focus their research at the post-secondary/adult level of teaching and learning and situate it in sociocultural and/or social-cognitive perspectives. Specific areas of interest include experiential learning, social education, digital technologies, embodied learning, and neuroeducation.
- Teaching two courses per semester at the graduate level
- Maintaining an active and productive research agenda commensurate with Research 1 tenure track faculty appointments
- Advising Ed.M., as well as Ph.D. Students
- Collaborating with faculty members across the department, Graduate School of Education, and the UB campus
The University at Buffalo is New York State's largest and most comprehensive public university. A premier center for graduate and professional education, UB is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, placing it amongst the leading research-intensive public universities in the United States. Based upon their research and scholarly productivity, as well as key leadership roles served in professional associations, faculty members of the Graduate School of Education are acknowledged, both in the U.S. and abroad, as leaders in their respective fields.
- An earned Ph.D. In a related field (e.g., Learning Sciences, Social Science)
- Relevant college or university teaching experience
- Online teaching experience
- A record of scholarship in Learning Sciences, or related fields
- Interest in developing or expanding course offerings in Learning Sciences & related fields
- Graduate teaching experience
- Experience with graduate thesis supervision
- Experience with securing external funding
Required documents for applicant:
- A cover letter that includes a) relevant qualifications for the position, b) research and teaching interests, c) and a statement describing how you have worked to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in your previous position(s)—as a graduate student or faculty member—and how you plan to continue to do so once on campus
- Curriculum vitae
- One-three sample publications
- Contact information for at least three (3) references
To review the complete position posting and to apply, please visit: http://www.ubjobs.buffalo.edu/postings/11733
Review of applications will begin immediately. Priority will be given to those received by November 13th. Anticipated start date August 2018.
Contact Name: Lisa Monpere-Cruz
Title: Assistant to the Interim Chair
Phone #: 716-645-4022
Email: [email protected]
The University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer (AA/EOE).