Support Professional-Dental Clinic
Date: October 11, 2017
Title: Support Professional – Dental Clinic
Position number: 838
Work schedule: 10 hours per week, 37 weeks per year
Monday and Wednesday, 4-9pm (Must be able to work flexible hours as needed)
Compensation: APSS, Level C $16.42 per hour
Reports to: Program Director, Dental Auxiliaries Programs
Posted through: October 25, 2017
This position serves as the receptionist for GRCC’s busy dental hygiene clinic, requiring a high degree of professionalism and ability to work effectively with the general public, students, faculty and staff.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Contribute to a positive and professional work environment. Present a positive and professional image and be an excellent goodwill ambassador for the department and the College.
- Schedule and confirm clinic patients for students in the dental hygiene program.
- Collect fees, and make accurate deposits to ensure successful operation of clinic.
- Respond promptly (within 24-36 hour) to telephone calls or e-mail requests from individuals regarding appointments in the dental hygiene clinic.
- Provide daily updates to the Program Director and full time dental clinic academic secretary for the purpose of communicating changes in patient information and/or scheduling, student concerns and other issues as they arise.
- Effectively manage and interact with dental students on a daily basis.
- Supervise and train dental hygiene students as they complete dental office assistant rotations.
- Supervise and train student workers.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Director, Dean, and/or Associate Dean.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Project a professional image including punctuality, dependability and good attendance records.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task, prioritize and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Willingness and ability to learn the college-wide system and dental office software programs.
- Demonstrated computer skills, Microsoft Office.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Associate's degree (or higher) preferred.
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC) preferred.
- A minimum of three or more years of secretarial or administrative assisting experience.
- Experience communicating and working effectively with diverse population.
- Dental office management experience preferred.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality (understanding of FERPA and HIPAA laws and requirements.)
- Ability to communicate with the general public by phone, in person, electronically and through written correspondence.
- Finalists will be required to complete an office testing module and meet minimum standards, plus possess excellent proofreading skills and have aptitude for detail work. An in-basket assignment may be required.
- Ability to communicate and work harmoniously with all members of the department and campus.
- Ability to perform daily routines and unexpected duties with minimum supervision and to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Must have excellent verbal, written and interpersonal and business communication skills.
- Ability to handle pressure situations in a professional manner.
- Possess mature judgment.
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor environment.
- Ability to work in busy office with frequent interruptions.
- Must be able to work flexible hours as needed.
Method of Application
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs Submit a cover letter and resume in one document. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on October 25, 2017 at 11:59 PM. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.