Full-Time Faculty Position in Fashion Business Management - Big Data Technology Integration
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position Fashion Business Management Department.
The College reserves the right to select one or more candidates after having been duly reviewed and presented to the President in conformance with the provisions of Article 15 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The Jay and Patty Baker School of Business and Technology educates students for management and leadership roles within the fashion and related creative industries. Our curricular integrates a deep appreciation of how markets, business environments, advanced business technology and competition can be managed in a global context. The Baker School provides a professional faculty and business climate that enables students to be immediately valuable contributors to their industries.
The Baker School of Business and Technology collaborates with both the School of Art and Design, and the School of Liberal Arts, whose courses help students to better understand themselves, others, and their place in an increasingly complex world. The Baker School co-operates to design curricular and educational experiences that help hone general skills and behaviors that employers increasingly demand: critical thinking and problem solving skills, a strong sense of professional and ethical responsibility, social skills, the ability to work productively in teams, and good oral and written communications skills.
The vision of the School is to be the most academically recognized school of excellence where students come to learn about the business of the core industries that we serve the creative, fashion and design industries-and where industry, government and associations see creative alliances for the development of ideas, solution innovation, future thinking, and problem solving.
The mission of the Department of Fashion Business Management (FBM) is to develop students' analytical, intellectual, communicative and critical thinking skills, along with technological abilities.
The Fashion Business Management program facilitates and promotes the student of fashion merchandising for the purpose of culminating in various fashion-related careers including but not limited to product development, retail buying, planning and allocation, sales, retail and wholesale management and Omni merchandising. Students are taught by professionals who have all worked in various key executive positions from the fashion industry. Students will have the opportunity to meet and learn from the major key global fashion companies.
The ideal candidate should be technologically competent to lecture, research, evaluate, and mentor students regarding Big Data strategies in the fashion industry. The candidate should have experience in predictive analytics, and how it applies to fashion business. The candidate should be familiar with the various technologies used for Big Data and Analytics, as this important technology has influenced all the various aspects of the industry. This full-time position will be filled by an individual who is able to demonstrate proficiencies in the evolving area of Big Data technology integration where all platforms of digital content and consumer interaction occur.
Responsibilities include advising and mentoring students interested in the discipline and building partnerships in the global fashion industry. In addition to having unquestionable professional ability, the candidate should demonstrate interest or experience in teaching or instruction and academic scholarship; the ability to develop innovative curriculum, actively participate in departmental and college-wide committee work, display a commitment for the fashion industry, and possess a desire to convey this excitement to the students. This exciting opportunity is ideal for an accomplished professional executive who possesses a command of the discipline and a vision for the future.
Specific competencies sought as related to the position:
- Demonstrate an awareness of global issues and understanding of international connections to the impact on fashion business management and the fashion industry.
- Demonstrate global industry experience with sustainable merchandising concept development and practices.
- Possess the ability to share knowledge about current global fashion industry practices and future projections as related to the business of fashion business management.
- Demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively locally and globally with colleagues regardless of location or background.
- Demonstrate appreciation for cultural diversity and has a positive approach to cultural differences.
- Demonstrate awareness and sensitivity to all racial, ethnic, religious, and social groups, and incorporates this understanding into teaching learning experiences.
- Design and deliver coursework that links learning objectives across disciplines and reflects how work is performed in the fashion industry.
- Balance both theory and practical application of knowledge, to include building skills that are necessary to be successful in the fashion industry or related profession.
- Create experiences that require collaborative exercises, real work problem solving, and a skills-based approach to learning.
- Utilize instructional variety in order to accommodate students of different learning styles, abilities, demographics or diversity.
- Maintain connections to fashion industry that allow integration of professional practices with classroom learning.
- Demonstrate the ability to inspire interest, curiosity, creativity, and love of learning in students.
- Demonstrate the use of various instruction delivery methods that foster critical thinking and creative problem solving.
- Demonstrate the capacity to incorporate interdisciplinary learning into the Fashion Business Management curriculum.
- Possess the vision to advance the department's revitalization of its AAS, BS, and international programs.
- Demonstrate responsiveness to industry changes and practices including technology, with the ability to incorporate those changes into a progressive curriculum.
- Demonstrate the ability to support different student learning styles.
- Demonstrate highly active participation in the fashion industry with a demonstrated knowledge of fashion business concepts including buying, planning, marketing, team building, multi-channel merchandising, supply chain management, licensing/branding, product knowledge, predictive analytics and product development.
- Maintain active engagement in the profession in both scholarly and vocational activities.
- Demonstrate willingness to share industry contacts and opportunities to help achieve department and college initiatives.
- Possess the ability to speak effectively on behalf of the department and/or college with industry supporters.
- Create and maintain a network of alumni and industry experts who can be called upon as resources for course and curriculum development, guest speakers, internships, and placement opportunities for students.
- Maintain positive, helpful, supportive, respectful, collegial, and teamwork-oriented relationships with other faculty and professionals throughout the college.
- Demonstrate and utilize basic Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint technologies.
- Possess industry-specific technological skills relating to software programs including but not limited to Adobe Creative Suite, buying and planning software (JDA preferred), and Gerber Web PDM.
- Demonstrate commitment to updating technological skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate through technology and utilize the college course management system and campus portal.
Bachelor's degree (with an earned Master's degree required for tenure) and a minimum of seven (7) years as an executive in the fashion industry related to Big Data specificity. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Experience teaching at the undergraduate level.
PhD degree preferred. Preference will be given to candidates who possess several or all of the above listed qualifications.
This is a new position in this department that will begin Fall 2018. Review of applications will commence in Fall 2017 and continue until the position is filled. The salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience. Please note a background check is required for appointment to this position. Online applications are strongly encouraged.
- Letter of interest clearly indicating your qualifications for the position;
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume;
- A minimum of three professional references, including names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail contact information;
- A list of academic activities beyond classroom instructions (course outlines, developed curricula, evidence of participation in accreditation processes, etc.).
Please note that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually. Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at: www.fitnyc.edu.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, email@example.com