Staff Registered Nurse, Health & Counseling Services
The Staff Registered Nurse position at the University of Denver Health and Counseling Center is a 1.0 FTE fully benefited nursing position at the University of Denver Health and Counseling Center (HCC). This position is a 5 day per week medical office position providing direct patient care to a diverse body of University of Denver students including assisting providers with procedures, exams, and treatment. This position will assist in various administrative duties within the HCC.
The well-qualified candidate should be able to establish emphatic connections with DU students as a clinician while adhering to established DU and HCC policies and protocols. They should be familiar and comfortable with incorporating the values of Inclusive Excellence and multicultural competency into their daily work. This position requires medical knowledge and leadership skills to function independently and perform medical triage and other rapid assessments (both in-person and over-the-phone) with independent judgment not only in the medical care of patients but also in direct interaction with medical staff. This position reports to the Medical Practice Manager and performs duties under the direction of the providers, Medical Director, and Executive Director.
Direct Clinical Service
- Perform basic medical clinic tasks including rooming patients, obtaining and documentation of the patients presenting chief complaint, vital signs, weight, height, allergies, medications, and relevant tests in the electronic record.
- Collect blood and body fluid samples by approved methods (venipuncture, finger stick, etc.), prepares and tracks specimens for testing and/or transportation to affiliate laboratory.
- Performs CLIA waived in-office laboratory tests, ECGs, nebulizer treatments, spirometry, ear lavage and other clinical procedures as assigned by treating providers.
- Provide referral assistance to patients, assist with appointment scheduling, refill prescriptions under protocols or medical provider orders, perform phone and in-person triage.
- Administer allergy injections and schedule allergy immunotherapy according to orders provided by allergist/Practice Providers.
- Follow up on patients referred to emergent/urgent care visits outside the HCC and request appropriate records for follow-up.
- Start IVs and manage IV therapy/medications as ordered by the provider.
- Administer immunizations, injections, and oral medications according to level of experience/training and current HCC protocol.
- Accurately document all information in the EMR which may consist of vital signs, chief complaint, physical examination, allergies/sensitivities, current medications, treatments provided.
- Support clinic flow through active schedule management insuring patient/student concerns are triaged and scheduled appropriately.
- Respond and provide assistance during emergency situations within the facility.
- Initiates protocols and standing orders appropriately (based on assessment).
- Assist in compliance with AAAHC accredited institution guidelines and practices including tracking, verifying, and insuring compliance with various certifications (TB testing, CPR certifications, Influenza immunizations, medication storage temperature logs, ACLS crash cart readiness), act as the HCC Infection Control Nurse providing resources, insuring compliance, and providing annual training regarding safe injection practices.
- Maintain nursing skill competency and enhance professional growth and development through continuing education activities. Share knowledge gained through continuing education with the staff.
- Assist with Quality Improvement programs at the HCC and in development and updating of HCC policies and procedures.
- Perform duties in a cost-effective manner, striving to avoid wasting resources without jeopardizing quality of care and service.
- Interact with patients, visitors, and Health Center staff in a courteous manner, and demonstrates a sincere initiative in meeting patient needs. Ensures confidentiality of patient and institutional material. Places appropriate forms in the electronic medical record according to the nature of the patient visit.
- Support and uphold clinic policies, objectives, quality improvement, safety, environmental and infection control procedures, and codes and requirements of accreditation and regulatory agencies.
- Incorporates the values of Inclusive Excellence and multicultural competency into daily work.
- Other duties as assigned to support the work of the HCC medical practice.
- Occasional supervision of Medical Assistants
- Completed training required for RN licensure in CO or equivalent training/experience in a related healthcare profession.
- Unrestricted registered nurse license in CO or equivalent certification/licensure commensurate with degree.
- BSN degree with minimum 3 years clinical nursing experience.
- Clinical triage and assessment skills.
- 1 to 2 years' experience nursing in a college health center.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00pm (MST) on Wednesday, October 25, 2017. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.