Head of Technical Services in the Westminster Law Library
This position reports to the Law Library Director and is responsible for the technical services operations of the Westminster Law Library, including acquisitions, cataloging and metadata services, and eresource management. This position currently has supervisory responsibility for a part-time staff member as well as the technical services work of the law library's student workers, and this position will play a leading role in the continuing implementation of a next-generation library management system (LMS). This position also assists in the management of the law library's day-to-day operations as a part of a three-person library management team, along with the Director and the Assistant Director, which includes key areas such as strategic planning, assessment, communication, personnel development, technological needs, and resource allocation.
This position will be classified either as staff or as faculty (in the University Libraries series) depending on the qualifications of the successful candidate. A faculty appointment requires a JD and a commitment to regular teaching in the law school curriculum.
- Plan, develop, coordinate, oversee, and participate in the technical services functions of the law library, including acquisitions, cataloging and metadata services, and e-resource management. This includes setting new policies, procedures, and workflows, as well as regular evaluation of the effectiveness of such services.
- Participate in the law library's management team, along with the Director and the Assistant Director, which manages the law library's day-to-day operations.
- Supervise the law library staff dedicated to technical services, which is currently one part-time position, as well as technical services tasks done by student workers.
- Lead the law library's continuing implementation of a next-generation library management system, including better configuration and utilization of the acquisitions and cataloging modules.
- Work closely with the Director in areas such as technical services planning, budgeting, monitoring, and assessment.
- Participate on the law library's collection development team and engage in regular evaluation of the law library's collection priorities.
- Stay abreast of new developments in library technical services.
- Provide high-quality service at a combined circulation and reference desk.
- Engage in regular law library marketing and outreach with an eye toward possible partnerships within the larger university and the local legal community.
- Serve on relevant University- and unit-level committees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- MLS in library & information science or equivalent from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Experience working in technical services.
- FOR FACULTY APPOINTMENT ONLY: JD (or equivalent) from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Prior work experience in an academic library.
- Previous experience in a law library.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00pm (MST) Wednesday, November 1, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through dujobs.org to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please click New Resume/CV at the bottom of the page to begin application.
Please include the following items with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.