Technical Director - Theater Arts Production
A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, Azusa Pacific University is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering more than 100 associate's, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at six regional locations across Southern California, APU continues to be recognized annually as one of America's Best Colleges by U.S. News & World Report. APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is edifying to God and to one another.
For staff positions, please apply directly at: http://apustaffjobs.silkroad.com
APU is seeking employees who desire to engage in our thriving culture by cultivating community through professional interactions, demonstrating a posture of lifelong learning, and modeling Christ-like character. Working together, employees at APU commit to establishing a university atmosphere that is edifying to God and to one another.
The Technical Director for Theater Arts is responsible for the planning, supervision and implementation of overall operation and technical elements for APU Theater Arts theatrical season and production facilities, including the shops and three performance venues (Main Stage, Black Box and Dance Studio). Further elements include: scenery, sound, projection, lighting, design, staff/ student supervision and training, budget accounting and operational scheduling. In addition, this position assists student stage managers and Technical Practicum courses. The Technical Director ensures safe-working practices, maintenance, and replacement of theater resources and equipment. This position also oversees the in-house rental program of theatrical properties and scenery pieces. The Technical Director supervises the Shop Foreman, student workers, contracted carpenters, painters and electricians. In addition, the TD supervises design budgets into production costs for set build and rentals. A plus for this position will be stage management experience and the qualifications to teach a Stage Management course.
- Bachelor of Arts required. MFA in Technical Theater or equivalent professional experience preferred.
- 5 years experience in technical theater with an emphasis in theatrical construction, electrical lighting, sound and design experience. Stage management a focus.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Oversee and implement all technical production aspects and needs of the APU Theater Department.
- Scenery and Properties:
- Responsible for the execution of production elements for all productions produced in the Main Stage Theater, Black Box Theater, and Dance Studio.
- Supervises the shop foreman, student workers and contracted carpenters, painters and electricians.
- Works on pre-planning stages including production build scheduling, supply purchasing and cost analysis
- Ensures safe working practices in production areas at all times.
- Meets all deadlines for set completion, load-in, and removal of the set.
- Vet designs (scenic, lighting, sound, projection) for budgets, builds and safety.
- Must be current with all technical stage industry software.
- Serves as lighting & sound coordinator and master electrician for all theater spaces. Works with production teams for lighting (hang and focus) of all productions and ensures the implementation of such designs. Services and repairs all lighting equipment when needed. Schedules and directs student electric crews in the hanging of lights and focusing of all shows.
- Serves as master carpenter and works with the scenic designer to ensure that all sets planned are within reason to facility limitations and time constraints.
- Translates scenic design blue prints and creates all building lists and time schedules.
- Design production elements including scenic, lighting, sound, projection as needed.
- Work alongside production manager to create master production/annual calendar and construction schedules for each production/season. This includes maintenance, design deadlines, loading strikes, staff, etc.
- Train and supervise the shop foreman and student crews for the implementation of technical production needs, including but not limited to carpentry, lighting, sound, projections and running crew.
- Will assist in the supervision of student workers in scenery, lighting and productions as designated by the technical theater professor and production manager.
- Lead technical rehearsals with artistic director, production manager, director and stage manager.
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Click below to discover some of the many benefits APU employees enjoy including competitive health care options, an 8% retirement match, and a generous tuition discount.
You can learn more about APU by watching the stories of faculty, staff, and alumni as they carry out our mission here: http://www.apu.edu/stories/
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.
Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.