Alternative Media Specialist
Job Title: Alternative Media Specialist
Job ID: 24300
Full/Part Time: Full - Time
Job Code: 0420, Range 2
Department: Accessible Education Center
About the Position
Reporting to the Director of the Accessible Education Center (AEC) and receiving work lead direction from the Accessible Technology Coordinator, the Alternative Media Specialist is responsible for converting print materials into electronic text (e-text), Braille, digital audio text, and tactile graphics in order to accommodate students with disabilities.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinate production tasks/deadlines with student workers in order to ensure legal timelines are met.
- Review/analyze each request and perform quality control checks to ensure there are no errors in deliverables.
- Understand how students utilize assistive technology software(s) in order to troubleshoot access issues.
- Coordinate permissions and database acquisitions from all major publishers, Center for Accessible Media (CAM).
- Analyze the content of course materials, keeping in mind the various techniques needed for conversion to Braille and other specialized formats.
- Based on analysis of course materials, determine the most efficient digital conversion method/technique.
- Prepare books/documents for scanning and organize the electronic file structures, in order to retain integrity of originals.
- Meet with students, as needed, regarding requests or introduction to software(s) provided in the CAT open lab.
- Cut/Remove bindings of books and begin eBook production via high speed scanner.
- Run the scanned images through ABBYY Fine Reader (OCR Software).
- Analyze content of materials and edit each text/image zone in order to output accessible reading order/file structure.
- Add/edit alternative text or captions to content which require descriptors.
- Determine the most appropriate deliverable(s) for each individual in order to provide equal access to all materials.
To apply, please visit: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs and search for Job ID: 24300.
Equal Employment Statement:
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.