Technician, IT (Computer Support)
General Statement of Job
To maintain, install, and support Austin Community College (ACC) computers, printers, and peripheral equipment; provide basic network support functions and customer assistance services.
Location Multiple Locations
Note: Northridge and Highland Campuses Hours 40 hours/week as assigned; Generally Tuesday - Saturday, 12 pm - 9 pm Salary Technician 4/118 ($31,394.00 - $44,848.00) FLSA Status Non-Exempt Reports To Department Chair, Game Development, Animation & Motion Graphics Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Additional Job Specific Duties
- Mac specific job duties: To monitor, maintain, install, and support Macintosh networked servers, computer systems, and peripheral equipment; provides professional-level network support functions, and assists faculty, staff, and students in an academic lab environment. Be integral in the architecture and support of Apple MacOS X based systems. Aside from general duties listed above duties will also include:
Collaborate in the design and development of the system to meet user needs and respond to/anticipate technological advancements.
Supports maintenance of departmental website.
Maintains and updates Mac workstations and servers, Mac equipment, and Mac peripherals; researches and tests new software; installs software upgrades and enhancements; uses imaging software to create and deploy desktop computers.
Monitors physical security of assigned department assets; controls access to premises, observes lab user activities and facility utilization shifts, provides materials, training, and assistance as needed.
Reports technical problems that need to be addressed by improved policies or procedures.
Provides technical support to students and instructors to assist in the training of students, faculty, and staff on software applications usage. Facilitates one-on-one instruction and group workshops.
Collects, compiles, analyzes, and presents reports for technical and administrative information; may include facility usage and resource utilization.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- The capabilities of computer hardware, software, and operating systems.
- Hardware, software, and peripheral equipment troubleshooting techniques.
- Basic network support and remote printer management procedures.
- Job related technical terminology.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Accountable for inventory/property management.
- Make recommendations that impact the budget.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills.
- Operating and maintaining computer and peripheral equipment safely and competently.
- Using basic tools and procedures for maintaining computers and peripheral devices.
- Responding professionally, effectively, and efficiently to customer service requests.
- Prioritizing multiple tasks, projects, and demands.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
- Use network domain systems.
Required Work Experience
- Two years related work experience.
Preferred Work Experience
Three years related work experience.
Three years of IT in the creative arts industry.
- High school diploma or educational equivalent.
- Associate degree in a related field.
- Valid Texas Driver's License and reliable transportation needed for local Austin area travel.
- Depending on assignment, specific technical certifications may be required.
- Work is performed in a variety of settings.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling, and at times subject to stooping, crawling, and climbing.
- May need to lift heavy objects of up to 50 pounds.
- May be exposed to a variety of temperatures, noise, moving mechanical parts, or chemicals.
- Specific vision abilities may include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to focus.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- Knowledge of creative software (i.e. Photoshop, After Effects, Premiere).
- Knowledge of administration and maintenance principles of network servers, relational databases, and web- and Mac-based software applications preferred.
- Knowledge of the structure and operating capabilities of one or more network operating systems preferred. Knowledge of network hardware, software, and peripheral equipment troubleshooting techniques preferred. Knowledge of network topologies and protocols, and technical Internet knowledge-base services preferred. Preferred: Mac- based knowledge in:
* Security options for current-gen workstations;
* Security for publicly accessed systems;
* Hardware/software configurations for graphic applications; * TCP network, Apple Remote Desktop configuration;
* Cross platform integration (render farms, data servers, etc.)
- Skill in advanced and in-depth knowledge of MacOSX as well as knowledge about MacOSX Server preferred.
- Experience in designing and administering Apple based solutions in an environment with multiple operating systems that encourage student learning preferred.
- Proven scripting experience, preferably with AppleScript, Shell, Perl, and/or Python preferred.
- Enthusiastic about providing the best possible service internally and externally.
- Good problem solving skills of business critical systems and are detail-oriented.
- Soft-motivated, approachable, adaptable and possessing excellent communication skills (written and verbal).
- Capable of working pro-actively in carrying out day-to-day role, prioritizing multiple tasks, projects and demands with limited supervision preferred. The ability to understand the business infrastructure, to implement and improve IT solutions in accordance with Mac-based educational environment preferred.
- Demonstrated professional-level technical proficiency in network domain administration preferred.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.