Instructional Assistant II (PT Casual), CP1N23433CIL
Provide a wide variety of instructional support services to students and faculty in the off-campus Learning Commons. Provide programmatic and logistical support to the Lead Instructional Assistant and to the Manager, Off-campus Learning Commons.
Position Title: Instructional Assistant II (PT Casual), CP1N23433CIL
Duties of Position:
- Assist Lead Instructional Assistant in LC operations and service delivery; provide input and suggestions for the improvement of services or procedures.
- Orient new Regional Center instructors to academic support services and procedures in the on and off-campus LCs.
- Act as liaison between faculty and students. Answer instructors' questions and connect students and faculty to available LC academic support services. Be prepared to answer student and faculty questions regarding testing policies and procedures.
- Orient faculty in the use of course components: texts, tests, and accessibility of computerized programs and materials in the off-campus LCs. Trouble shoot and resolve computer delivery problems on student and testing computers.
- Administer, proctor, and/or evaluate placement, diagnostic and academic tests for students. Communicate test results and advise students regarding course options, retakes, preparation workshops, rescheduling, and advising opportunities based on test scores. Work with faculty to resolve student testing concerns.
- Communicate test results and advise students regarding course options, retakes, advising, and preparation options including; workshops, online programs and study materials based on test scores. Work with faculty to resolve student testing concerns.
- Verbally explain and demonstrate use of computer delivered educational components to students including; MyAccess, Blackboard, MyMathTest, MyMathLab, MyLabsPlus, and basic software applications.
- Perform circulation functions within Library's electronic system: issue Library cards and process materials transactions; collect fines and fees; run reports; report unreturned materials; prepare cash report.
- Stay informed of changes to policies, reference materials and procedures within the Learning Commons and Testing Center U-Drive folders. Suggest changes when necessary.
- Assist in the inventory, maintenance, and updating of course record books for each semester for accuracy in administering and documenting individual testing activity.
- Collaborate with other Instructional Assistants at off-campus LC locations and staff in the Glen Ellyn Academic and Specialized Testing Centers and with various college departments to maintain consistency of procedures and availability of materials.
- Provide support and assistance to Math Assistance, Reading, Writing and Speech Assistance and Tutoring Services within the LC.
- Comprehend complex delivery methods and administer numerous types of testing including; classroom make-up, Internet, remote placement tests, exit tests or essays, interest surveys, pre-GED testing (TABE), and high-stakes tests through companies including PearsonVUE, Castle Worldwide, ISO Quality Testing, Innovative Exams, and Work Keys. Provide immediate tech support for examinees as necessary. Collect and process fees as necessary.
- Train for and pass proctor certification tests and maintain eligible status as needed through ongoing and/or updated certification and recertification procedures for high stakes testing companies. Recertify every 6 months to 1 year to meet testing companies' requirements.
- Organize and maintain secured online course tests and faculty instructions each semester in accordance with on-campus procedures.
- Maintain a current working knowledge of periodic changes regarding High Stakes testing procedures, in order to ensure the integrity of; each company's tests, check-in procedures, incident reporting, and to ensure the testing environment meets specifications.
- Navigate the Colleague/Datatel database to; locate student information and registration records, identify student, enter ACT scores, and to determine eligibility of student before tests are administered. Prepare reports for Lead IA and Assistant Manager of Learning Resources.
- Follow procedures to ensure integrity of all testing; utilization of surveillance equipment and walk through monitoring, maintaining a secure inventory of all paper/ pencil tests; proper transmittal of forms, logging testing activity, following Incident Report procedures.
- Implement proper candidate identification procedures via positive photo and signature identification and other criteria. Understand and follow FERPA policy guidelines to ensure confidentiality.
- Collect and sort data for statistical reports; gather information and complete reports as directed by the Lead Instructional Assistant or the Manager.
- Respond to emergencies occurring at the work site and implement evacuation procedures.
- Open and close work area each day according to established procedures and direct management of LC equipment.
- Special projects as assigned; special duties specific to center location and other duties as assigned.
Experience and Education:
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Proficiency in spoken English. Basic computer skills.
Two years college or equivalent experience in an educational setting.
Prior work experience in the field of education. Advanced computer skills. Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Equipment & Working Conditions:
Multi-line phones, FAX, typewriter, Computer, printers, copier, calculator, Scantron, audio and video equipment, telephone answering equipment, and Library media scanner.
PT, up to 28 hours per week as needed, day/evening/weekend. Ability to access testing and study materials. Ability to visually verify identity of those taking tests. Requires occasional travel to main campus and other regional sites.
This position requires a background check at the College expense.
Department: Learning Commons - LC
Position Type: Temporary Casual - TC
Pay Type: Hourly Non-Exempt