Associate Chair for Clinical Integration and Operations
Department of Neurology - Dell Medical School - The University of Texas at Austin
Location: Austin, Texas
Open: Aug 4, 2017
The Department of Neurology at the Dell Medical School (DMS) at The University of Texas at Austin, along with its clinical partner Seton Healthcare Family, is seeking an outstanding clinician-educator to serve as the inaugural Associate Chair for Clinical Integration and Operations. The position entails a faculty appointment at DMS and a critical role in building the department into a nationally recognized model for innovative, value-based care delivery. This includes the development and oversight of Integrated Practice Units (IPUs) in which redesigned care models are trialed and spread when successful.
DMS, the first new medical school to be built at a tier one research university in nearly 50 years, welcomed its inaugural class in 2016. The school is committed to redesigning academic medicine and revolutionizing how people get and stay healthy, by educating leaders, developing new models of care, advancing innovation from health products to health care delivery, and partnering closely with community and regional stakeholders to serve the community's underserved population. It is now home to the Mulva Clinic for the Neurosciences, established by a $50 million gift from the Mulva Family Foundation, and part of a collaborative network of departments, centers, and institutes on the adjacent University of Texas campus.
Austin, the capital of Texas and 11th most populous city in the United States, is universally recognized as a vibrant, entrepreneurial, and socially conscious city. Its live music scene, international festivals such as South by Southwest (SXSW), and outdoor amenities have made it among the fastest growing large cities in the nation.
Specific job responsibilities will include:
- Leading the design, implementation and assessment of value-based clinical care models in key disease areas in neurology
- Managing relationships with community physicians and groups in Austin, hospital partners, and public and private payers, with the goal of aligning operations around value across all players in the clinical ecosystem
- Assessing new technologies and techniques in terms of their contribution to improving care and value in clinical care
- Representing the Department in key clinical decision-making bodies within the Dell Medical School and its partners
- Collaborating on cross-cutting initiatives with other schools at The University of Texas at Austin and other Associate Chairs for Clinical Integration and Operations in Dell Medical School departments
- Medical degree from an accredited medical school
- Currently active board certification in neurology
- Eligible for appointment to the DMS faculty as an associate or full professor
- Eligible for appointment to the medical staff at Seton Healthcare
- Substantial record of leadership and achievement in academic medicine
- Experience with business drivers of health care
Applicants should send curriculum vitae and a statement of professional interests to:
David Paydarfar, M.D.
Professor and Chair
Department of Neurology
Dell Medical School at the University of Texas at Austin
Health Discovery Building, Suite 5.708
1701 Trinity Street
Austin, Texas 78712
Attention: Karen Rascon
The University of Texas at Austin, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions.