Program Director, Chicanx/Latinx Student Success Center
Job Title: Program Director, Chicanx/Latinx Student Success Center
Job ID: 24292
Full/Part Time: Full – Time
Job Code: 3086, Range 1
Department: Transition and Retention Services
About the Position
The Program Director will develop, coordinate, plan, implement, and assess educational and other programs that serve students of Chicanx/Latinx descent and celebrate their heritage/culture. It will be incumbent upon the Coordinator to develop campus and community partnerships that make it possible for activities to be sustained, including high-level collaborations with organization on and off campus. The Coordinator will provide advocacy, support, and leadership development for Chicanx/Latinx students. Develop, implement, and manage policies and procedures relating to scholarship/grant money Chicanx/Latinx students, while developing strategies for raising additional funds. Support affinity Chicanx/Latinx groups and other programs for faculty and staff that celebrate their heritage and assist with creating a positive work climate. Work with Admissions on recruitment of Chicanx/Latinx students, and foster relationships at high levels with Student Affairs, Academic Affairs community members, and other professionals to refer students and provide academic and coaching to students. Supervise graduate students and interns.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead the development of programs/services designed to support student transition and retention
- Develop a short-term and long-term strategic place for the center.
- Coordinate the daily operations of the Chicanx/Latinx Student Success Center
- Responsible for assisting with tracking of budget and maintaining fiscal prudency.
- Exercises professional judgment and expertise in managing day-to-day operations, services and activities which require direct interaction with other areas on campus as well as a variety of community and other constituents.
- Responsible for hiring, supervising, evaluating, and training student staff, student mentors, graduate students and faculty fellows.
- Assists with the development of programs that create a “student success oriented” atmosphere for Chicanx/Latinx students on campus.
- Develop, implement and manage the peer mentor program for Black students.
- Collaborate with campus entities on events that promote multicultural understanding, academic success, alliance, and civic engagement.
- Assist in the development and delivery of high impact programs in relation to retention and graduation
- Assist with the coordination of outreach efforts with SOAR, Admitted Spartan Day, University Orientation Programs, and Weeks of Welcome.
- Responsible for recruiting and supervising faculty fellows, graduate students, student assistants and interns.
- Responsible for chairing and leading the community building planning committee.
- Provide consultation and support the needs of students and make referrals to the appropriate resources on and off campus.
- Handle a variety of complex and sensitive issues related to students, faculty, and family members.
- Oversees and manages the programs operational budget.
- Attends conferences and keep abreast of new developments in issues addressing Chicano/Latino students.
To apply, please visit: http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/careers/jobs and search for Job ID: 24292.
Equal Employment Statement:
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.