Head of Library Technical Services
Head of Library Technical Services
Salary - $58,000
This is a professional and managerial position, overseeing all activities associated with library acquisitions and cataloging in all formats, including bibliographic searching; ordering; receiving; claiming; invoice processing; cataloging, licensing, processing materials, work flow training, and knowledge of integrated library systems.
Typical Duties/Job Duties
1. Supervises and manages all staff responsible for Technical Services operations involving acquisitions, cataloging, serials, bindery, and electronic resources processing. Supervision includes training, setting work priorities, monitoring work, evaluating employee performance, and discipline. Works with the Technical Services employees to establish goals and objectives for the Unit. Develops policies and procedures.
2. Generates library collection and financial data from the local library system; oversees the preparation of statistical reports, library materials financial reports, collection analysis documents, and narrative reports, as assigned.
3. Provides supervision and leadership in the adoption of new methods to meet an ever-changing information environment. Monitors changes in cataloging standards; prepares staff training and refines policies and procedures, as needed, to meet these changes.
4. Works with the ILS administrator, monitors, recommends, and assigns and adjusts staff authorizations and work-flows in the ILS, as well as other work related software services. Also tests and assures the proper cataloging and acquisitions functions in the ILS.
5. Works with the Senior Cataloging Librarian in original and complex copy cataloging of library materials in all formats; such as foreign language, maps, music, serials, and archival. Provides training opportunities to keep Technical Services staff up to date on current and future cataloging formats and standards.
6. Participates in the development and maintenance of online research guides and finding aids.
7. Participates in Research Assistance Desk coverage, including evening and weekend rotations.
8. Enhances personal development by reading professional publications and literature, participating in appropriate online forums, and engaging in relevant training offered on and off campus and via the web. Attends professional conferences, training, seminars, and other meetings as needed.
9. Serves on Library and University committees as assigned.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of best practices, trends, and standards in all operations of technical services in an academic library setting.
• Knowledge of appropriate digital technology (hardware and software) and RDA (format independent) standards.
• Skilled in oral, written, and interpersonal communications.
• Ability to train, supervise, and evaluate the work of library professionals and library assistants; ability to read, write, and speak English; ability to perform basic mathematical calculations; ability to learn and use the online library database system; ability to organize and complete tasks in an accurate and timely manner; ability to use general office software; ability to perform work requiring accuracy and attention to detail; ability to work harmoniously with staff, patrons, and others; ability to operate a variety of office equipment.
Master’s degree in Library science or its equivalent from an American Library Association accredited program. Minimum of five years of professional academic library experience in technical services operations required. Minimum of three to five years of supervisory experience required.
Knowledge of Voyager (ILS) preferred. Knowledge of trends in ILS migration.
Angelo State University is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to promoting and ensuring equal employment opportunity for all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Angelo State University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for qualified individuals with disabilities. We are committed to ensuring that a qualified individual with a disability has the same rights and privileges in employment as non-disabled employees. If an accommodation is requested for the job application process, please contact our office at (325) 942-2168 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Close Date 09/30/2017
Review Start Date 09/11/2017
Desired Start Date 11/01/2017