Director of Development - Ophthalmology
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Advancement
Director of Development - Ophthalmology
Position #740318 - Requisition 11394
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
Office of Advancement has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Director of Development position in Ophthalmology.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
We are a hardworking and energetic team of 47 (and growing) fundraising, donor relations and administrative professionals, who are positive, collaborative and benefactor-focused. We welcome you to apply to become part of our team.
This position coordinates, directs, and implements development activities related to initiatives for ocular and ophthalmologic health within the Department of Ophthalmology on the Anschutz Medical Campus (in collaboration with the UC Health Eye Center). This position may direct one or more development personnel; is responsible for planning, implementing and coordinating fundraising activities for designated program(s); plans and carries out the institution's program of soliciting major gifts. This position may lead a particular fundraising unit, and work directly with a designated school, college, department or center leader; and may be responsible for managing a designated budget.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Works to cultivate existing and new donor (individual, corporate, and foundation) relationships with the intent of sustaining and increasing the relationship with the donor.
- Serves in a supporting role with faculty, who will lead some gift conversations with current and prospective benefactors.
- Portfolio Management: Manages a portfolio consisting of a minimum of 60 prospects. Goals relating to personal contacts, number of proposed gifts, grants, and prospect identification to be set with and approved by management.
- Develops and manages portfolios of individual, corporate and foundation prospects capable of making significant gifts in order to secure major gift commitments (at least $25K). Plans and implements programs that include measurable targets for each fiscal year (e.g., personal visits, stewardship activities, solicitations).
- Works with senior campus and office of advancement leadership on strategy and process improvement for campus fundraising opportunities.
- Cultivates existing and new faculty relationships to monitor developing research opportunities that are aligned with a destination academic medical center.
- Assists in ongoing management and maintenance of case for support, including continuous formulation of supportive materials.
- Works closely with University of Colorado (CU) faculty; and may work directly with volunteers daily to develop and implement fundraising strategies in order to meet established goals and objectives. Facilitates productive relationships daily between donors and CU administrators, faculty and staff to ensure effectiveness of programs.
- Works daily to ensure timely, accurate completion of proposals, pledges and fund agreements. Documents prospect strategies and contact reports, evaluates new prospects and generates stewardship reports and general correspondence daily to cultivate major gift prospects.
- Represents the Development Office at events in order to support the University and cultivate donors.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- At least 5 years of successful professional fundraising experience.
- Graduate work in a related field.
- At least 7 years of top level, successful professional fundraising experience.
- Experience in fundraising for medical field or higher education.
- Deep knowledge of higher education advancement.
- Expert ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain interpersonal relationships.
- Expert ability to analyze information, situations and solve problems.
- Expert ability to handle sensitive information discretely and maintain confidentiality.
- Proven ability to organize and manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, to work independently and collaboratively, and to adapt quickly to changing priorities.
- Solid knowledge of current issues facing public universities and interests of healthcare professionals, students, faculty, and alumni.
- Proven ability to focus internally and to equip others externally.
- Personal computer proficiency required, Microsoft Office Products and donor tracking software. Computer skills may be subject to testing and verification.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) Questions should be directed to: Sheri Kalina Jungman at Sheri.KalinaJungman@ucdenver.edu
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by October 18, 2017. Those who do not apply by October 18th may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Development
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21560 - ADM-EVC Foundation Anschutz
Posting Date: Oct 9, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sheri Kalina Jungman
Posting Contact Email: Sheri.KalinaJungman@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00740318