Coordinator of Communications and Alumni Relations - Aerospace Engineering (A1700635)
Coordinator of Communications and Alumni Relations
Department of Aerospace Engineering
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Aerospace Engineering (AERO) at the College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Coordinator of Communications and Alumni Relations. Reporting to the department head, the Coordinator of Communications and Alumni Relations lead communication efforts to deliver the Aerospace Engineering story through digital and social media outreach and engagement, as well as develop and maintain a comprehensive communication and alumni relation program to build strong, positive relationships between AERO and alumni. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Evaluate and implement communication strategies to deliver targeted messages to defined audiences using advertising, electronic and print publications, media relations, multimedia projects, electronic communication technologies, and other vehicles.
- Explore, develop and implement innovative communication approaches that will be effective and have significant positive impact on the stature of AERO.
- Provide writing, interviewing and research, editorial, and other services in support of print and electronic projects.
- Develop, monitor, analyze, and refine AEROs advertising efforts.
- Proactively and creatively update and improve AERO's web presence including the development of website news items and maintenance of web content and online communications.
- Manage photography and videography needs, including coordination of photo/video shoots, provide creative direction, and organize photo and video databases.
- Stay informed on current communications and marketing trends and new technology.
- Supervise hourly employees including delegating work, reviewing completed tasks, developing strategies for and providing guidance to hourly workers.
- Assist with the writing and/or editing of faculty award nominations as needed.
- Provide leadership in developing and implementing programs and opportunities that build strong relationships between AERO and its students and alumni, including identifying and coordinating initiatives focused on special constituent or interest groups including young alumni.
- Coordinate all special events associated with the Department of Aerospace Engineering, including the AE Alumni Board Meeting.
- Manage schedules, itineraries, events, and various accommodations associated with alumni visitors.
- Solicit and prepare nominations for campus, college and department alumni awards.
- Maintain a database and working with the faculty on external faculty awards, keeping track of deadlines, and gathering supporting documents.
- Serve as the constituent liaison with the University of Illinois Alumni Association.
- Create and maintain an alumni/industry speaker database for AE courses and Student organizations.
- Work outside the typical hours of the standard workday may be required for special events, including evenings and occasional weekends and occasional travel may be required.
- Assume additional appropriate duties to further the mission of the department.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Progressive experience in communications or marketing.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a team environment requiring frequent communication with professional staff, alumni, students, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to manage production (layout, design, etc.) of publications required.
- Demonstrated abilities in effective oral and written communications, with excellent presentation and consensus-building skills; must be able to demonstrate tact and diplomacy, and maintain confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated experience in building and cultivating relationships with diverse constituents at all organizational levels, both within and outside the university.
- Proven ability to exercise initiative and work independently.
- Experience in handling multiple projects and setting appropriate production schedules.
- Significant experience working with alumni and corporate human resource managers and recruiting representatives.
- Demonstrated experience with major event preparation and management.
- Previous experience working in an academic or higher education environment.
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with experience in technical writing.
- Detailed knowledge of marketing and communications principles.
The Coordinator of Communications and Alumni Relations position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by October 30, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Leslie Lewin Reinhart, firstname.lastname@example.org, 217-300-3872.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Coordinator of Communications and Alumni Relations - Aerospace Engineering (A1700635)
Open Date: 10/09/2017
Close Date: 10/30/2017
Organization Name: Aerospace Engineering