Director of Strategic Communications and Marketing
Director of Strategic Communications and Marketing
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09174
Location: Sylvania Campus
Address: 12000 SW 49th Avenue, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday
Position Status: Full-time Management, Salary Level N, 1.0 FTE, Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Starting Salary Range is $87,873 to the range mid-point of $107,643. Placement generally will not exceed the mid-point (determined based on qualifications, experience and internal equity).
Job Close Date: Apply by November 13, 2017 for best consideration
Portland Community College is seeking a Director of Marketing and Strategic Communications.
Under the direction of the Associate Vice President of College Advancement, the Director of Strategic Communications and Marketing provides strategic leadership and management in alignment with the College's mission and values, including staff and resources, and with a focus on the center of the PCC diamond - Equitable Student Success. Portfolio areas include integrated planning and advising, college advertising, targeted marketing, digital strategy, social media, event planning, publications development, and brand management for a multifaceted institution.
This position will provide an exciting opportunity for a leader to shape the future of Strategic Communications and Marketing at PCC. The successful applicant must be a visionary, strategic, and collaborative leader who brings a strong equity lens to all of their work. In this role, you will bring your vision and expertise for effective customer engagement to a partnership with the College's leaders and strategies for equitable student enrollment, retention and success.
PCC serves nearly 75,000 full-time and part-time students, from all walks of life in the Portland area. We are committed to a culture which values human diversity and cultural competency for our students, our employees, and our partners. Equitable student success, social justice, accountability, and a strong sense of community are values we hold dear. PCC is a reflection of the Portland metropolitan area and we strive to make a positive socioeconomic impact within the region.
Portland Community College supports student success by delivering access to quality education while advancing economic development and promoting sustainability in a collaborative culture of diversity, equity and inclusion.
Portland Community College has a deep commitment to our newly adopted Strategic Plan
(http://www.pcc.edu/about/administration/strategic-plan/). This five-year plan is framed around six interconnected themes and values. Distilled from each is a set of strategic intentions that will guide our future actions and inspire bold thinking:
Think Smart: Provide Outstanding, Affordable Education
Think Bold: Drive Student Success
Think Fearless: Ignite a Culture of Innovation
Think Powerful: Transform the Community through Opportunity
Think Proud: Create a Nationally Renowned Culture for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Think Accountable: Achieve Sustainable Excellence in All Operations
In addition, PCC's four accreditation themes are: Access and Student Success; Economic Development and Sustainability; Quality Education; and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
If this sounds like a community that you would like to be a part of, and an important role that you would like to play, please review the qualifications below and apply today!
Here is our Intended Recruitment Timeline
October 5, 2017: Job Announcement Published
November 13, 2017: Deadline for Preferred Applications
Week of November 27, 2017: Semi-finalist Interviews
Week of December 18, 2017: Finalist On-Campus Interviews & Tours
The Full Salary Range for this position is $87,873 to $127,413.
Starting Salary Range is typically $87,873 to the range mid-point of $107,643. Placement generally will not exceed the mid-point, and is determined based on qualifications, experience and internal equity.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership, management, and coordination of District-wide marketing and strategic communications functions across the institution to support and promote strategic efforts.
- Manages and integrates communication team services to Board, District President, Vice Presidents, Campus Presidents and other leadership positions.
- Develops and implements integrated marketing and communications campaign and strategic plan that aligns with College objectives.
Other Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises administrative services professionals, paraprofessionals, technical/support and classified staff and performs both direct and indirect supervision through subordinates. Hires, evaluates, trains, disciplines and recommends dismissal of staff as necessary.
- Provides oversight and directs the implementation of internal operations, which includes planning, coordinating, administering, and evaluating programs, projects, processes, procedures, systems, standards, and/or service offerings for department of moderate complexity; ensures compliance with Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, codes, and/or standards; coordinates activities between multiple service areas; works to integrate and coordinate service areas.
- Provides primary leadership in guiding, planning, implementing, evaluating, and modifying programs, processes, and operations related to department; interprets and applies federal and state mandated guidelines. Plans, implements, administers, and evaluates related programs, projects, and services impacting the college.
- Ensures departmental adherence and compatibility with organizational goals, objectives, and strategic initiatives, as well as all local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Directs and reviews a variety of reports, reconciliations, work papers, promotional efforts, communications, schedules, tables,
and/or statements to and from internal departments, financial institutions, governmental entities, and external agencies.
- Develops and administers business unit budgets; approves expenditures; reviews financial statements; manages financial operations.
- Responds to requests for information and provides subject-matter-expert guidance to other departments, consumers, the general public, and/or outside agencies.
- Develops, recommends, and administers policies, procedures, and processes in support of departmental operations; implements and monitors compliance with approved policies, procedures, and processes.
- Collects and analyzes a variety of complex data and information.
- Performs statistical analysis and summarizes findings in applicable reports or other communication mediums.
- Participates in/on a variety of meetings, committees, task forces, and/or other related groups to communicate information regarding services, programs, areas of opportunity, and/or other pertinent information as appropriate. Serves as a liaison to external agencies.
- Serves as a liaison with other departments and students within the College in order to provide information on available resources, programs, and/or services.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, administration or related field. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
- Five years of experience in the management of a large organizational unit providing services to a wide range of clients, to include supervisory, planning, fiscal, and evaluation responsibilities.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Long-term Disability, Long-term Care, and Auto and Home Insurance programs.
PCC currently fully funds the Oregon Public Employers Retirement System (PERS) pension and contributes an additional 6% into the employee's Individual Account Program under PERS. PCC also provides a 2% contribution to a 403(b) account for eligible management personnel. PCC offers a tax deferred annuity program and a deferred compensation program where employees may save additional pre-tax dollars for retirement.
- 14.67 hours of Vacation leave per month
- 1 day of Sick Leave per month
- 11 Holidays
- 3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths:
1. Successful vision and leadership in the fields of Marketing and Communications, across a large complex organization, and in partnership with key leaders and strategies.
2. Strong equity lens and demonstrated ability to recognize the impact of implicit bias in communications, and to lead the conversation around equity within the team and the organization.
3. Sales perspective/focus ? Understanding of behavioral aspects, and successful experience engaging target audience from "first contact" with the college brand, through the desired end of the process.
4. Demonstrated effectiveness managing and developing diverse teams; experience developing a team to a strategic mindset and approach.
5. Web and mobile platform marketing expertise ? demonstrated knowledge and successful use of current best practices, and ability to comprehend future trends effectively into both vision and strategies.
6. Effectively reach ("speak to") target audiences and communicate key messages/values (using data, behavior research, etc.). Able to demonstrate success with a diversity of target audiences and messages.
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position, please submit:
1. Completed online application
2. Cover Letter (attach document)* Please state how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
3. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Upon hire candidate will be required to provide official transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.