College of the Sequoias
Description of Position
Under the direction of the Chief Accounting Officer and the Payroll Coordinator, the Payroll Specialist will perform a full range of payroll and benefits accounting work utilizing integrated software; maintain, audit and verify incoming documents, payroll data, and other information, process special payroll activities.
Candidates may be tested to determine the ability to:
• Make arithmetic calculations quickly and accurately.
• Use spreadsheet software.
• Perform double-entry ledger bookkeeping and
demonstrate general accounting knowledge.
• Produce printed work and correct English, grammar,
spelling and punctuation.
A testing date may be arranged for applicants.
Education and Experience
Any combination equivalent to:
• Graduation from high school including or supplemented by college – level course work in accounting, bookkeeping or a related field and
• Two years of increasingly responsible experience in the preparation and maintenance of financial accounts and records.
• Prepare and process classified, academic and management (confidential) payrolls.
• Assemble, tabulate, extend, balance and post district payrolls and related data; examine payroll transactions for accuracy and completeness; evaluate discrepancies in payment or records and make adjustments as required.
• Review and audit payroll – related data submitted by employees; verify and code payroll data according to appropriate guidelines; input direct pay invoices for payroll deductions.
• Prepare, maintain and update a variety of payroll documents, master payroll prelists and related payroll records as requested.
• Prepare a variety of payroll – related reports including voluntary deductions, retirement contributions and labor department statistics.
• Process a variety of materials such as checks and reports as required; operate a variety of office machines.
• Assist in the annual distributions of W-2 statements.
• Resolve problems and discrepancies related to District's payroll, sick leave, vacation and retirement policies and procedures.
• Maintain and update files for earned benefits, voluntary deductions and long – term disability benefits records. Assist Payroll Coordinator with Budget development utilizing Excel and Access data base programs.
• Operate a computer terminal to enter financial information, verify input to assure accuracy; operate spreadsheet software applications.
• Assist in the distribution of payroll warrants; sort warrants by location or bank code for direct deposits. Post, input, and prepare reports for part – time and student employee's attendance, hours and days worked; verify employment for employees as assigned.
• Assist office staff as needed to assure timely and efficient operation.
• Perform clerical duties such as typing and filing as required; order and maintain various office and related supplies for assigned program or function.
• Provide authorized payroll information to public agencies, loan offices and insurance companies; verify earnings for employees as requested.
• Compile, verify and submit reports of retirement contributions.
• Process and reconcile insurance billings.
• Process and maintain a system for billing off – campus employers such as Work Study, Federal Work Study and State Work Study.
• Utilize the District's integrated software in performing the required duties of the position.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Office environment.
• Ability to communicate with students/employees/public.
• Ability to read documents and inspect financial records.
• Ability to sit and stand for extended period of time.
• Ability to reach in all directions.
• Ability to lift light objects
• Ability to operate a computer and office equipment.
Conditions of Employment
• Salary is at Range 32 ($20.17 hourly/ $3,496 monthly) Initial placement on step AA
• Minimum 5% increase if promoted.
• 10-working month probationary period.
• Union membership upon employment.
• PERS Retirement.
• Medical/dental/vision insurance program for employee
• Employee life insurance ($100,000) is provided.
Only complete application packages will be evaluated by a qualified screening committee as soon as possible after the closing date. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not assure the candidate an interview. Application materials will be screened to determine the extent to which they meet the Representative Duties. A selected group of candidates will be invited for oral interviews. After initial interviews, finalists may be asked to return for a second interview.
All costs incurred as a result of the application/selection process shall be borne by the candidate.
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://www.cos.edu/About/HumanResources/Pages/Employment-Opportunities.aspx
Applicants must submit the following materials which must be received by Human Resource Services on or before the application deadline,
October 20, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
• Completed COS classified application form.
• Cover Letter which discusses your interests in this
position and which discusses how you have performed (5) of the representative duties in your payroll specialist positions or related experience.
• Copies of transcripts (officials required upon
employment) Send to:
Keila Reynoso Human Resource Services
College of the Sequoias CCD 915 S. Mooney Blvd. Sequoia Building, Room 5 Visalia, CA 93277
Notice to all candidates for employment
"College of the Sequoias Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military service, or any other basis protected by law."
The District provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the job application and hiring process, please contact a representative from Human Resources at (559) 730-3867 to request a reasonable accommodation."