Instructional Assistant III, Chemistry
Instructional Assistant III, Chemistry
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Mathematics & Science
10/30/2017 11:59 PM Pacific
Under general supervision, coordinate the operation of the Chemistry lab by preparing materials for lab classes, maintain stock room and equipment, and comply with safety guidelines. Assist in hiring, training, and assignment of duties of student assistants; assist students and staff with projects and perform other related duties in support of the Chemistry program as required.
Duties may include, but are limited to, the following:
• Prepare reagents and solutions; distribute chemicals, equipment and supplies for student use in lab classes; coordinate use of student lockers.
• Maintain laboratories, balance rooms, and prep areas in teaching-ready and clean condition and review lab activities to ensure that appropriate safety precautions are used.
• Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, instructors, and others contracted in the course of performing assigned duties.
• Effectively assist faculty and students in the proper and safe use of lab materials, supplies, and equipment.
• Follow directions precisely for preparation of reagents and solutions.
• Keep accurate records and maintain inventory control of supplies and equipment.
• Assist with the safe storage, handling, disposal, and recordkeeping of chemicals and chemical waste.
• Independently organize and control workflow.
• Perform or arrange for routine maintenance and minor repair of laboratory equipment; request periodic maintenance service with outside vendors.
• Assist with the operation and maintenance of water purification systems.
• Assist in hiring, training, and assignment of the activities of student assistants and assist in these duties when needed.
• Provide general information as requested and maintain internal department communications.
• Respond to laboratory emergencies including chemical spills and injuries.
• Perform related duties as assigned.
• Any combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. An example of this would be completion of an Associate's degree with major coursework in chemistry and any experience that demonstrates the ability to assist others in a learning situation.
• Knowledge of terminology, practices, procedures, and safety precautions related to the operation of a college-level chemistry lab, including weighing chemicals, making dilutions, and use of equipment such as a spectrophotometer, pH meter, and water purification systems.
• Ability to effectively assist faculty and students in the proper and safe use of lab materials, supplies, and equipment.
• Ability to maintain labs, balance rooms, and prep areas in a teaching ready and clean condition.
• Ability to follow directions precisely for preparation of reagents and solutions.
• Ability to keep accurate records and maintain inventory control.
• Ability to independently organize and control workflow.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, instructors, and others contacted in the course of performing assigned duties.
• Ability to obtain HAZWOPER (Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response) certification within six months of employment.
• Ability to obtain first aid certification and lab safety training within six months of employment.
• Clear evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of a community college environment.
• Additional coursework in instrumental analysis and organic chemistry.
• Experience working independently in a chemistry laboratory.
Working Hours: Monday - Thursday, 1:30pm - 10:30pm; Friday, 10:30am - 7:30pm. Hours may vary based on the needs of the department.
Exposure to hazardous chemicals; occasional lifting of items up to 50 pounds.
Chaffey College recently implemented an online electronic application system. Our new application can be accessed at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/chaffey. The application must be completely filled out in detail and clearly show that you meet the qualifications as set forth in the announcement, and you must upload the following documents:
Please do not include any additional documents; only the documents that are indicated below. If you upload documents that are not required, your application may be disqualified.
• Cover Letter
• Copy of college level transcripts (if you are using your education to meet the qualifications) (photocopies or computer printouts are acceptable. Copies of diplomas/degrees are NOT acceptable in lieu of transcripts.)
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a full-time, 12-month, classified bargaining unit position. Starting date: As soon as possible. Range 13 of the CSEA Salary Schedule with a starting salary of Step A, $3,298.00/month. Excellent benefits package.
To Apply, visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/chaffey/jobs/1870289/instructional-assistant-iii-chemistry