Director of Newman Center Business Operations
The Robert and Judi Newman Center for the Performing Arts is a world-class, multi-venue performing arts center on the campus of the University of Denver, Home to the Lamont School of Music, The Newman Center hosts nearly 500 events annually. In addition to performances by Lamont students and faculty, the Newman Center is an in-demand performance venue for numerous rental clients including the Denver Post Pen and Podium Series, Friends of Chamber Music, Denver Brass, Wonderbound Dance, Cleo Parker Robinson Dance, Urban League of Denver, The CELL and many others. The Newman Center also presents nationally touring performing arts groups through its acclaimed series, Newman Center Presents. In addition, the Newman Center engages students, teachers and the community through its learning and community engagement programming.
The Director of Newman Center Operations will oversee all financial operations for the Newman Center including budget development/management, long-range financial planning/forecasting and certain day to day operations. As a member of the Newman Center management team, the Director of Business Operations will work closely with the Executive Director in long-range strategic planning, goal-setting and growth projections. In addition, this role will supervise facility event sales, production and the Newman Center's food and beverage operation.
- Oversee budget development and day-to-day budget management for the Newman Center budget (roughly a $2 million annual operating budget).
- Work with Executive Director and management team to set annual revenue goals for both earned and contributed revenue.
- Develop monthly financial statements and forecasts to track progress towards annual goals.
- Provide expertise on financial matters.
- Conduct standard financial management responsibilities.
- Supervise and manage the following departments:
- Facility event sales department of 2 full-time employees and 1 part-time employee; work with staff to set revenue goals and determine opportunities for net revenue growth through event pricing and new business.
- Production/Stage operations department of 3 full-time employees; work with staff to manage expenses and ensure safe and OSHA compliant operating procedures.
- Front-of-House operations department of 1 full-time and 2 part-time employees.
- Food and Beverage, oversee the purchase and sale of alcohol at the Newman Center; manage catering relationship with outside catering vendor.
- Assist Executive Director to ensure compliance with performance management policies and procedures. Work with HR on resolution of disciplinary matters as needed.
- Develop and monitor policies and procedures to meet both internal business needs and align with University policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong facility working in financial management.
- Comprehensive understanding of accounting and budgeting practices.
- Ability to problem-solving.
- Ability to think strategically and day-to-day tactical.
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities simultaneously.
- Knowledge of human resources best practices.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum of five years of experience in business or administration management to include experience in financial management.
- Previous experience supervising professional employees.
- Master's degree in business, arts administration or equivalent.
- Experience managing business operations for an organization of a similar budget size.
- Experience in nonprofit accounting and/or business operations.
- Background in/enthusiasm for the performing arts.
- Previous experience in human resources.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with occasional weekends and evenings.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Friday, October 20, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. For questions about the position, please contact Kendra Ingram at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.