HVAC Mechanic II
HVAC Mechanic II
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation's finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
The HVAC Mechanic II will work in conjunction with the Heat Plant Operators and the Utility Mechanics to maintain and repair all equipment and devices relating to heating, air conditioning and ventilation throughout the college campus and college housing. This is primarily a repair and maintenance role working with Chillers up to 600 tons, refrigeration units, DX units and various sizes of air conditioning units. This position requires working on equipment where 480v three phase power is commonplace, high temperature piping is present and medium pressure steam (150 psi) is present. An HVAC Mechanic II is expected to have a high level of experience in troubleshooting Pneumatics Control systems, direct Digital Control systems and be able to read schematic diagrams, control illustrations and sequence of operations in the course of troubleshooting equipment failures. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- High School or GED diploma
- Technical Training/Certification in Control Systems (pneumatic and DDC), Technical Training/Certification in Refrigeration and HVAC Systems. Years of experience can be substituted for certification if proficiency and knowledge of systems can be demonstrated.
- Minimum of 7 years working in an industrial or commercial setting as an HVAC or refrigeration specialist.
- Must be licensed to handle refrigerants
- Valid Driver's license
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and to prioritize workload and adhere to an established work schedule.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a supportive and collaborative fashion.
- Ability to work within a technical environment that requires additional training as technologies develop.
- Ability to communicate effectively with supervisors and coworkers to define problems.
- Ability to trouble shoot mechanical and operational problems in equipment and machines.
- Ability to install power and control wiring and design simple control schemes.
For more information and to apply, please visit:
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.