Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to inclusive excellence and nondiscrimination in its educational program and employment practices and encourages candidates who will further advance the goal of fostering a diverse and inclusive community. As one of the nation's finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College is global in outlook and draws students from around the nation and world. The 425acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods.
As a member of the Technical Services team, the Metadata Librarian provides strategic and innovative leadership on metadata services. S/he serves as a member of Swarthmore and TriCollege Libraries' project teams which require metadata expertise, and applies said expertise to the Libraries' collections. The Metadata Librarian plays a critical role in aligning, reconciling, and setting standards for Swarthmore and TriCollege Libraries' metadata practices to maximize discovery and stewardship of physical and digital assets. As a member of the team responsible for determining metadata practices across the Tri-College Libraries, s/he represents Swarthmore, advocates for Swarthmore's interests, and provides leadership and guidance in the development and implementation of strategies that will support discovery, access, management, and preservation of the Libraries' physical and digital assets. S/he acts as a resource for providing training and awareness relating to the creation and use of metadata records and develops metadata policies, procedures, and workflows. S/he oversees the metadata workgroup and supervises two Metadata Specialists who do the majority of monographic and video cataloging. The Metadata Librarian shares in the responsibility for generating and maintaining bibliographic records in Tripod, the joint catalog of the Tri-College Library Consortium, and other repository systems. The Metadata Librarian may implement authority control processes on behalf of the Tri-Colleges to provide intellectual control over the application of personal names, place names, and subject headings as a component of the metadata process. S/he performs original, complex copy, and copy cataloging of materials in all formats according to national standards.
Reporting to the Assistant Director for Collections, the Metadata Librarian maintains an awareness of emerging trends at the national level and their implications for local practices, including linked data and metadata for digital scholarship and research data management. Consults with Digital Collections Librarian on preservation metadata for digital assets. Perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited institution
- Two or more years of experience working with metadata in an academic library.
- Knowledge of and experience applying cataloging standards such as AACR2/RDA, MARC, LCC, and LCSH.
- Demonstrated experience with XML-based standards such as Dublin Core, EAD, VRA Core, MODS, METS, or PREMIS.
- Experience working with DSpace, Fedora, or other repository system.
- Experience with OCLC Connexion, MarcEdit, and an integrated library system.
- Supervisory experience
- Ability to be agile, adaptive, to think critically in analyzing problems and developing resourceful solutions.
- Strong service orientation, analytical and organizational skills.
- Self-motivated and detail-oriented with outstanding written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Interest in and awareness of metadata issues and trends, such as linked data and BIBFRAME.
- Experience cataloging materials for special collections
- Working knowledge of XML and related technologies (e.g., XSLT, Xpath, Xquery).
- Experience developing metadata crosswalks.
- Experience in name authority work and disambiguation strategies.
- Project management skills.
This is a full-time position that offers a competitive benefits package. Visit http://www.swarthmore.edu/human-resources/employment to view employee testimonials and learn about what it's like to be a part of the Swarthmore community!
For more information and to apply, please visit:
Swarthmore College actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.