Salary: $2,944.00 - $3,619.00 monthly
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Stockton, CA
Department: Custodial & Grounds
To perform a variety of semi-skilled landscaping and grounds maintenance duties of various landscaped areas on campuses, and to perform a variety of general maintenance tasks related to assigned area of responsibility.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Participate in a variety of landscape maintenance duties including watering, mowing, weeding, trimming, renovating and fertilizing lawns and athletic fields.
- Plant, prune, stake, water and maintain landscaped areas consisting of bushes, trees, flowers and shrubs.
- Operate a variety of equipment used in the maintenance of assigned campus grounds including but not limited to riding lawn mowers, street sweeper, broom truck, industrial chipper, jackhammer, backhoe and forklift.
- Evaluate natural turf athletic fields for wear, pest problems and fertilizer needs; coordinate and schedule all maintenance and preparation of athletic fields for practices, scheduled games and special events.
- Clean the campus grounds including walkways, sidewalks, roadways, patios and stairways; remove all leaves, dirt, debris and obstructions.
- Perform chemical application activities related to maintaining various landscaped campus areas; identify problems and safely mix and apply appropriate chemicals to treat affected areas.
- Maintain a safe chemical storage area and accurate inventory of chemicals; safely operate, maintain, modify and clean chemical application equipment.
- Operate and maintain a variety of grounds keeping equipment including, but not limited to, mowers, weed eaters, blowers, edgers, chainsaws, aerators, seeders, cultivators, trenchers, tillers, tractors, spreaders, jackhammers, mixers, chippers and power washers.
- Size, select, space, install, adjust, repair and maintain sprinkler heads, irrigation system components, , and pipes in lawns, shrubs, groundcover and athletic areas; clear drain covers
- Assist with repairs to underground water mainline to include installation of proper fittings; repair underground water main lines, 4" or less in diameter.
- Maintain campus flora and fauna including the koi pond; maintain pumps and replace filters.
- Serve as member of the hazardous waste clean-up team as needed.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Operations, services and activities of a grounds maintenance program.
- Principles and practices of horticultural maintenance and turf management including use of fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides.
- Irrigation maintenance.
- Koi pond maintenance.
- Basic tree care to include pruning.
- Operational characteristics of grounds maintenance equipment and tools to include mowers, blowers, weed eaters, backhoe, and trucks.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Pertinent Federal, State and local codes, laws and regulations.
- Perform a variety of grounds maintenance work.
- Operate a variety of grounds maintenance equipment and power and hand tools in a safe and effective manner.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, linguistic, ethnic backgrounds and disabilities of community college students and staff.
- Frequent moderate lifting and carrying; continuous walking and standing; frequent bending and twisting at the waist and neck; occasional reaching above and below the shoulder; frequent grasping, kneeling and squatting; operation of motorized vehicles and equipment.
One year of groundskeeping experience Licenses/Special Requirements: Possession of an appropriate, valid driver's license.
To apply, visit http://agency.governmentjobs.com/deltacollege/
The San Joaquin Delta Community College District provides access to its education programs and activities and makes all employment decisions without regard to national origin, religion, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race or ethnicity, color, medical condition, genetic information, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, military and veteran status, or any other legally protected category. The District’s prohibition against sex and gender discrimination includes sexual harassment and sexual violence.