Systems Developer I
Systems Developer I
Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) is one of the nation's first engineering and technology universities to innovate and convey the latest science and engineering knowledge in ways that are most beneficial to society. WPI has a lot to offer such as extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty members at the top of their fields, state-of-the-art research facilities, and a diverse community teeming with activity. Information Technology collaborates with the WPI community to meet academic, research, campus life, and administrative needs for technology and access on a global scale. At WPI, we strive to provide very competitive and comprehensive benefits ranging from health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life and much more. If you are ambitious, you want to be challenged, you want to succeed, you are excited to make a difference in the world and help develop the next generation of leaders, and you know where you want to go, then WPI can help you get there!
We are seeking a new, talented Systems Developer I to work closely with the IT Web Developers and library staff to deploy and support new academic applications and support existing systems. You will provide technical expertise for the integration and administration of custom or vendor software. Join our Web Application Development & Academic Integration team with this unique and exciting opportunity to enable advanced research and help develop the next generation of engineers, scientists and scholars at WPI!
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide technical support, performance and operational monitoring, system administration, application patching and upgrades. Recommending system configurations and enhancements.
• Deploy and maintain WEB applications and systems including Apache, Nginx, Tomcat, WordPress and custom software.
• Install, configure and help deploy library systems including Fedora Commons.
• Integrate Fedora Commons with Samvera and other WPI systems including eProjects and WPI’s ERP systems.
• Creating documentation such as procedures, workflows and user guides.
Other duties as assigned.
• Experience installing, configuring and supporting Samvera and Fedora Commons is a plus.
• Demonstrated web application development experience using Python, Perl, PHP, Java, HTML, and CSS.
• Experience maintaining web servers and services such as Apache, Nginx, and Tomcat on the Linux platform.
• Knowledge of web site design best practices, including web standards and accessibility.
• Must collaborate effectively across technical and functional disciplines.
Must possess the ability to work independently, maintain work quality, reprioritize projects and meet deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, and has a passion for web development.
Posting Date: 10/06/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/5072