Part-Time Writing Center Tutor
Requisition Number STA - 201000000543
Job Title Part-Time Writing Center Tutor
THIS POSTING IS FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
The UNT Dallas Writing Center offers tutorial assistance in writing and reading to students who need supplemental academic support. The Tutor serves as a team member in the Writing Center, and may work with students individually or in a group. The Writing Center Tutor is primarily responsible for assisting UNTD students in reading, revising, and improving their writing and communication skills for academic, professional, and creative assignments. This assistance may involve help with contents of writing assignments, elements of style such as paragraph development and sentence variety, and sentence mechanics such as grammar and spelling. In addition, the Writing Center Tutor offers writers help with citation of secondary sources, and different styles of citation such as the APA and the MLA.
In addition, tutors will take on the responsibility of assisting the Learning Commons staff with the student tutor training and Writing Center data collection and reporting. Tutors will also help develop training material for peer tutors and assist with overseeing and training the new recruits. They will also perform certain administrative work as needed. Work is performed under the supervision of Learning Commons Coordinator
Duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Attending training sessions (bi-monthly or weekly; TBA by Learning Commons Coordinator)
• Scheduling appointments for tutorial sessions and updating their schedules (Outlook, WCOnline, etc.) as necessary
• Preparing and conducting resources for the Writing Center including handouts, workshops, website content, newsletter contributions, etc.
• Assisting Learning Commons Coordinator and Administrative Coordinator with maintaining detailed student records; monitoring, inputting and analyzing data related to student attendance, persistence, retention, and satisfaction
• Serving as a liaison between the Writing Center and UNT Dallas academic community (faculty and staff) by reaching out to faculty and gathering class information, syllabi, expectations, etc.; keeping instructors informed of the type of tutorial assistance his/her student received while in the center and sending reports of the sessions when necessary
• Submitting time and effort in a timely fashion
• Participating in professional development activities when available and as needed
• Actively participating in staff meetings
• Organizing and developing reference material (handouts, workshops, custom workshops, videos, audio information, etc.) for the Writing Center and the UNT Dallas community
• Helping promote the Writing Center and services offered by developing positive relationships with campus community, developing marketing information, updating social media outlets, delivering presentations and classroom workshops around campus
• Collecting detailed and mandatory data on students' performance improvement as part of the assessment of the tutorial program
• Supporting Learning Commons Coordinator with development of peer tutor training program and overseeing training of peer tutors as they are hired
• Researching Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) initiative and aiding Writing Center Coordinator in developing a sustainable and applicable WAC program at UNT Dallas
• Assisting the Administrative Coordinator with other tasks as assigned (typing, emailing, answering phone, etc.) and on occasion managing the front desk
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
Successful applicants must meet the following minimum qualifications:
• Bachelor's Degree or higher with coursework in related field
• Two years of related experience
• Ability to utilize computer technology to access data, maintain records, and generate reports
• Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed
• Experience tutoring/teaching college students
• Hold a master's degree in English, modern languages, or related field
• Demonstrate punctuality and professionalism at all times
• Strong knowledge of FERPA preferred
• Ability to assist with instructional support in writing
• Experience providing workshops, training, and/or test preparation sessions
• Possess a sincere desire to work with students strong problem-solving skills
• Strong critical thinking skills
• Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing
• Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
• Ability to work independently and with others
• Ability to take direction and instruction without reservation
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to read, write, and speak Spanish (strong knowledge of Spanish grammar, spelling, and style) highly encouraged but not required
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work requires some muscular and/or physical strain such as standing for long periods of time and some recurring walking, lifting of items weighing up to 25
Driving University Vehicle? No
For Fall 2017 purposes, need someone available Tues/Thurs: 9a-3p, Weds: 9a-4p, Fri: 9a-1:00p, Sat: 10a-3:00p. Monday-Thursday 9:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m., Saturday 10:00am-3:00pm, and other times as necessary.
Substitution of Experience/Education No
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Completed application must be accompanied by cover letter, current rsum, copy of most recent college transcript, list of references and available work schedule.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- * Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree?
- * What is your level of proficiency in Spanish (speaking, reading, writing, grammar/composition)
- No proficiency
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- Cover Letter
- Undergraduate Transcript
- Veteran Preference (DD-214)
- Writing sample