Specialist, Advising (Student Services)
General Statement of Job
To provide academic advising and related student support services.
Location Highland Business Center
Note: Help Desk Center Hours 40 hours/week as assigned; Generally Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 5:00pmAdditional Hours: Monday Evenings, 5:00pm - 7:00pm; Saturday, 10:00am - 4:00pm Salary Specialist 6/118 ($32,022.00 - $45,745.00) FLSA Status Exempt Reports To Director of Academic and Career Advising or designee Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Additional Job Specific Duties
- 8. To facilitate the Guided Pathways Advising Model
9. Collaborate with Area of Study faculty to ensure students have current information on course tracks for all assigned programs
10. Implement high impact advising practices and advance their integration into Area of Study advising.
11. Collaborate with faculty presenting information in Area of Study sessions to new students.
12. Maintain expert advising knowledge of Area of Study, including career and transfer information.
13. Maintain contact with all assigned advisors for the Area of Study to ensure they have current information on course tracks for all assigned program
14. Demonstrate understanding of and commitment to the principles and practices associated with Student Success
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- College admissions procedures, programs, and courses.
- Multicultural education programs and systems.
- Student database systems.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills.
- Disseminating complex information.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
Required Work Experience
- Two years related work experience.
Preferred Work Experience
- Skills for performing the duties of this position including, understanding of enrollment process, advising, individual and group presentations, and successful interaction with potential students.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Work is performed in a standard office or similar environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- Demonstrated proficiency using standard office software applications
- Use a multi-line hard and/or soft phone
- Keyboarding skills with emphasis on speed and accuracy
- Ability to navigate multiple operating systems and browsers
- Ability to cross reference across multiple databases and resource materials
- Proficiency in using Google Apps and Live Chat software
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.