District Police, Dispatcher
General Statement of Job
To dispatch District Police Officers, monitor alarm systems, and relay information.
Location Service Center Hours As Assigned Salary Specialist 5/116 ($31,200.00 - $39,311.00) FLSA Status Non-Exempt Reports To District Police, Dispatch Supervisor Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Additional Job Specific Duties
- Operates various computer systems to include Computer Aided Dispatch.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Radio communication practices and protocols.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule, which may include days, evenings, nights, and weekends.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills, including tact and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational, planning, and problem-solving skills.
- Effectively interpreting laws and regulations, making decisions, maintaining composure, and working effectively under stressful conditions and emergency situations.
- Interacting with people of different social, economic, and ethnic backgrounds.
- Operating telephones, radios, and other office equipment.
- Following and effectively communicating verbal and written instructions.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
Required Work Experience
- No work experience is required.
Preferred Work Experience
- One year work experience in law enforcement dispatch telecommunications or equivalent work experience and training that provides that required knowledge and skills.
- High school diploma or educational equivalent.
- Hold a Telecommunications Operator License issued by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement.
- Either already have a Telecommunications Operator License issued by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement or be able to meet the temporary licensing requirements, satisfactorily complete the required course, and obtain a Telecommunications Operator License within the first year of employment.
- Be able to satisfactorily complete other required Department of Public Safety training and coursework within six months of employment.
- District Police dispatchers must be able to work any of three shifts covering twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
- Knowledge of college's and college Police Department policies, procedures, and standard operating practices.
- Work is performed in a standard office environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.